it's okay - bucky

prompt: bucky could never leave you, even if it meant dying.

you run as fast as you could, hot on bucky's tail

you run as fast as you could, hot on bucky's tail. the mission you were currently on wasn't a complete fail, the only downside so far was that the building you were in was currently collapsing under your feet.

being a super solider, bucky was able to keep a fast pace, leaving a greater distance in between you and him by the second. bucky didn't seem to notice, though, thinking you were still behind him.

you trip on a piece of ruble, falling onto your hands. you let out a yelp of pain, feeling your ankle twist. you look up to see a piece of the ceiling starting to crack and you try to quickly crawl away.

"bucky!" you yell desperately, finding your voice.

he stops dead in his tracks and turns around, seeing you trying to crawl away. he looks up to see the ceiling start to fall. bucky immediately found his feet subconsciously running to you as fast he could. he legs could only run so fast and before he knew it, the piece of the ceiling falls onto you, covering your lower half and down. you feel a sharpe piece of glass pierce into your thigh and blood immediately started spilling, giving you zero hope.

"shit!" you scream out in pain, tears slipping out of your eyes blurring your vision.

bucky reaches your side and attempts to lift up the ruble. his teeth are grinding against each other in desperate need to get you out.

"buck," you say in a weak voice. "it's okay," you whisper loud enough for him to hear.

"no, no, i'll get you out." he argues, but a couple more attempts to lift it up was it.

the building would soon fall on you both and bucky couldn't be more torn between choosing life or death.

he gets down onto his knees and kisses your lips. you open your mouth to say something, but he cuts you off.

"i'm not going to leave you, i'm staying here. i'm better off dead if you're not here with me." he strokes your face and lays down next to you.

he does his best to take you into his arms and he kisses your forehead.

"bucky, you need to get out of here. you'll be okay without me-" bucky kisses you for the last time, tasting you and your tears.

"i told you no," he rests his head on yours and closes his eyes. "i will never leave you, y/n." you close your eyes and rest your head on his chest.

"i know," you sigh, slowly opening your eyes to look into his. "i love you, james." he smiles, loving the way his real name falls off your tongue.

"i love you more, y/n." he looks up to see another piece of ruble starting to detach itself from the third floor ceiling.

he holds your head close to his chest so you don't have to see it coming.

"this is bucky and y/n, signing off." bucky says into the comm and prepares for the impact.

"i'll see you soon, bucky." you say, kissing his hand.

"of course you will, doll. you can't get rid of me that easy-"

...

"this is bucky and y/n, signing off." the avengers hear.

"no!" natasha yells, running to the window to look at the building collapsing into itself.

steve feels his breath hitch and his knees almost buckle. he lowers himself onto the bench, putting his head into his hands as he cries softly.

natasha was your best friend, you trained together in russia and joined shield and the avengers together. you were sisters and now that you were gone, she knew how alone she was going to be.

tony started the quinjet, looking back at the building you were in and wiped his tears. he shakes his head and starts the long journey home.

the ride back was silent, only sniffles and sobs were heard.