never be her - steve (pt 1)

prompt: steve has been distancing himself from you and comparing you to his first love. one day, you finally had enough of his shit and confront him about it.

not edited

not edited

"will i just never be good enough for you, steve?" you ask, attempting to hold the tears back.

"i-i don't think you're not enough, y/n, i just won't ever love someone as much as i did her. it is different than what we have." he starts to forget the matter at hand and think about her again. "she was fierce and strong and so independent. she was everything i ever wanted." he explains with a small glint of happiness in his eyes just thinking about her, completely ignoring his girlfriend on the verge of breaking down next to him.

for the past month steve would always talk about peggy and how amazing she was. at first, you were fine with it, but when he started comparing you two and only talking to you when he thought of a new memory of her, you were done with it. you confronted him and he got very defensive, leaving him to confess how he felt.

"i just don't know if i could love another women like i did her." he slowly looks over at you to see you grabbing the essentials for a sleepover at natasha's. "where are you going?" he asks genuinely confused.

"are you fucking serious? did you really just ask me that question?" he was about to speak but you cut him off. "you know what, it's my turn, stevie." he flinches at your harsh tone. "i spent this past year doing nothing but love and care for you. i threw my mental health away so i could help you through the grief of peggy's passing. you were so blind to even notice how sad i was. we were supposed to be a team, yet i was the one holding up this relationship." you pause, catching your breath.

"i should expect you to be there for me-" he starts, but you quickly cut him off.

"i should expect you to be there for me!" your tears finally fall as your breathing hitches. "you weren't there when i needed you most, unlike me who was there for you whenever you needed me. you repay me by hanging out with your friends, ignoring me, going on missions without telling me, and comparing me to her. news flash, steve, i'm not her!" you shove everything into a bag as you speak. "i will never be her and if she's catching pathetic boys like you, then i definitely don't want to be anything remotely close to her." you seethe despise the heartbreak you felt.

steve watches speechlessly as you leave the room and stands there, frozen. everything you had just said was still registering and it quickly made him realize who was in the wrong. he was being completely disrespectful to the one person who was always there. not to mention he noticed the signs of depression from you, but never did nor say anything.

"y/n, i'm sorry!" steve says as he runs to catch up to you.

you turn around and glare harshly at him.

"bullshit-" he cuts you off by smashing his lips onto yours and silencing you from another rant about how horrible of a boyfriend steve was.

you fight it at first, but give in to his soft lips. steve was the best kisser, not to mention he knew all of my sweet spots- wait. you thought. you quickly realize what he's doing is wrong and push him away.

"i cannot believe you." you say slightly out of breath, lips wet and swollen.

"y/n, i can't loose you. i haven't even noticed how bad i was hurting you and i'm sorry. i'll admit it, a small part of me still loves her-" you scoff. "-but it'll always be you who i think about before going to bed or when i first wake up. i love you more than anything and when i saw you walk out with your bag, i-" he pauses, his tears threatening to fall. "i need you more than anyone. you keep me sane and grounded. when i'm on missions all i can think about is coming home to your smile. you keep me motivated and especially keep me happy." he steps closers to you, grabbing your cheek. "i don't want you to be her, especially when you're so much better." you pull your head away from his grasp and his heart shatters at the realization: he lost you.

"then why have you been so distant? why do you ignore me and compare me to her? why did you say you could never love anyone more than you did her?" you shower him with questions and he stares at you like a deer in headlights. "i'll tell you why" you step closer and put your finger on his chest. "because you'll never love anyone as much as you loved her, i can see it in your eyes everyday how much you'd rather be with her. you can't tell me if you had the chance, you wouldn't go back to her." he lowers his head with a small shake.

"i wouldn't, y/n." he looks back up, his tears glistening from the light of the moon.

"don't lie to me." you drop your hand and grab your keys.

"what do i have to do to prove how much i love you?" he grabs your wrist, turning you around.

"by staying the hell away from me so i don't have to keep feeling the pain you caused." you use your telekinesis to throw him on the floor before slamming the front door shut and driving off to natasha's.