⚘7⚘

❗TRIGGER WARNING ❗

Sanaa ☯️

My idle body rested against the cold marble kitchen floor as I gradually regained consciousness. I slowly stood up, glancing at the goosebumps with a slight sigh before cleaning the kitchen in an attempt to hide my deeds and going upstairs as quietly as possible.

"Good morning," a familiar voice greeted in the middle of the hallway, startling me.

"Good morning, Mother. How did you sleep?"

"Good. I hope you did too."

"Partly."

"Why partly?"

"I had a great dream but it ended in a nightmare."

"That part always annoys me as well," she replied, nodding before adjusting herself to a serious posture. "If anything is bothering you, please feel free to tell me and we'll get through it together," she whispered.

"I will," I said, opening my door. "See you later?"

"Of course."

I closed the door and fell on my bed, sighing. I was ashamed of not being able to confide in my mother about my relationship with food and my body which seemed a bit absurd to me because my mother is everything to me. Usually, I could tell her anything related to my life with no fear of judgement due to her listening to my stories with an open heart and mind.

I believed that my reluctance to talk about my issues had to be due fact that talking about them would actually make them feel real. Perhaps it could be a defence mechanism. Whatever it was, the mere thought of saying it to someone else made me cringe.

My restless state didn't permit me to take a morning nap so I decided to redraw, highlight and colour the dream sketch, struggling not to break into a huge smile as I thought of Abel.

"What are you doing?" my sister asked, startling me. Her body leaned against the door frame as she gave me a sceptical look.

"If I remember correctly, you were given a pair of clear eyes," I retorted with an eyeroll.

"Yeah, yeah," she replied, lazily brushing me off. "I didn't know you could draw like that."

"It never came up."

"True," she nodded, entering the room. "Who's that? He's stunning."

"He sure is," I gushed. "He's a friend."

"A 'friend' I don't know of?"

"As hard it may be to believe, yes."

"Hmmm," she said, analysing the drawing. "You drew with a lot of detail. It's almost as if you were there."

You have no idea.

"I assume that's what being an artist is all about," I shrugged.

"Yes, that must be it. I know I barely compliment you but I must admit..." she trailed off, tracing the drawing with her index finger in awe. "You're truly gifted."

"Awe, stop. I'm blushing," I said, ecstatic about my sister's reaction.

"I knew this compliment would consume your big head."

And she's back.

"Whatever. Why are you here anyway?"

"Hostile, aren't we?" she smirked. "I just came to grace you with my presence."

"Well, you can grace yourself out of here."

"Fine then. It's frustrating to see when your own family doesn't want to spend time with you."