⚘18⚘

Sanaa ☯️

It was a strange sight to see my father sending us off at the airport that morning. Unfortunately, he couldn't join because he had to catch up on some work related projects he was conducting. The duration of our stay wasn't definite which meant that we could come back in between two weeks and two months.

My school was informed about the sudden family emergency which meant that all school related tasks were to be done online. My siblings and I informed our classmates as well.

"Are you sure?" Kaya asked on the other phone line the day I told them. "It could be your own way of telling us you're leaving for good without hurting our feelings."

"I can't believe I'm agreeing with Kaya but she has a point. We don't blame you. It's your lifestyle after all," Zara said from her phone line.

"I'm telling the truth. At this moment, my grandmother needs all the assistance. I just don't know when I'll be back."

"Okay," the girls said in a lighter tone. "Have a safe flight."

"Thank you, I appreciate it."

"Is she picking up?" Ama asked as I attempted to call Nita for the thousandth time for the past two days.

I shook my head.

"Just send her a text."

"I did, it's just that I actually wanted to tell her."

"You can't do much at this point, SJ. We have to go to the terminal in five minutes."

"Have a safe flight. Call me when you arrive," Dad said as he hugged us.

"Stay safe as well," we told him before going to the terminal with our suitcases.

After a long flight and car ride, we arrived at Grandma's house.

With a happy expression, she slowly made her way to us with a teary face. We hugged tightly before placing our items in one of the rooms which was designated for us.

"How have you been?" Mom asked her as she approached the dining table with a tray in her hand which had a tea kettle with tea cups. She gently placed them on the table before pouring the hot water in a cup to give to Grandma. "I know it has been difficult for you for the past couple of weeks."

"If it wasn't for the neighbours helping me, I don't know what would have happened to me," she answered as she took a sip of lemongrass tea. "I am glad that you could come to look after me."

"It's nothing," Mom said as she handed out the filled cups to my siblings and me. "I am your daughter. I will always be there for you, even if certain situations make it seem like I won't be able to."

"Have you eaten?" my mother asked, switching the topic. "Do you even have groceries at home? Why didn't I think of passing by the market before coming here?" she groaned, shaking her head.

"The neighbours gave me some goat meat pepper soup to eat. Also, I do have enough groceries to last us for the weekend."

"That's great to hear. I'll be back, I need to thank them for their kindness," she said before walking out of the house.