⚘25⚘

This Chapter mentions deteriorating physical health.

Sanaa ☯

The complexities of life was inevitable but something my mind couldn't process. Although I identified as a Christian, the endless amounts of trials and tribulations humans were bound to face wasn't something I wanted to experience for the rest of my life. A good amount of existing problems filled my plate and I was devastated to add a broken friendship to my collection.

My mother discovered that Nita had been completely dishonest about the treatment she received from her father and step mother through the entire neighbourhood, who had also happened to express gratitude for my mother's dedication to Nita. We were informed that she ran away again the day after and broke off all contact with my family, which marked the beginning of my social downfall.

Nita began to inaccurately explain what transpired between us, which led to regular arguments between me and the majority of the class. As much as I tried to ignore the lies and confrontations, the anger continued to brew within me, which led to me blurting out the truth to my "friends". Unfortunately, they didn't believe me.

Eventually, most students broke contact with me. Despite my new status as a certified social outcast, I still had compassion towards her because of the loss of her mother and the fact that she was groomed by an older man, which seemed to be a huge issue in our society. The biggest shock was to discover from a surprised Nandi that her mother was indeed alive.

flashback

"Why would she do this to you? Didn't she appreciate the friendship the two of you had?" Nandi asked as she sat on my bed one day.

"It doesn't seem so," I mumbled. "I just feel bad because she wouldn't have been in this situation if her mother was alive."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Nita's mother is dead, right?"

"Did she really say that?" Nandi asked in a rhetorical manner as she burst into a fit of laughter. I stared at the laughing girl blankly as she wiped some tears from her eyes. "I'm disappointed. She didn't have to say that just because her mother lives in the rural area."

My eyes blinked uncontrollably as her laughter violently filled my ears and the uncoordinated lies filled my mind.  Why do I trust people quickly? Stupid was too vague to describe how I felt, which happened to be my default emotion at this point.

end of flashback.

"Mom?" I began, stepping into her room. "Am I a bad person?"

"Why would you ask such a question?" she asked, looking up at me from her phone.

"Everyone hates me and wouldn't leave me alone. She is spreading lies about us," I groaned as I plopped on her bed. "I just want her to leave me alone."

"Sanaa, you're not a bad person. Don't blame yourself for what happened and don't allow this situation to harden your heart. The world needs more people like you," she said, squeezing me in a tight but comforting manner. "I'll deal with the school situation and everyone will see the truth come to light eventually."

I engulfed myself in a book under the oak tree as the loud chatters filled the school due to lunchtime. A small smile tugged at the corner of my lips as I tracked my self development progress. I found peace in my newfound solitude and thanked God for releasing me from unhealthy friendships with people that didn't align with me.