⚘19⚘

Brace yourself for a mental breakdown

❗TRIGGER WARNING ❗

Sanaa ☯

Do you know the feeling that consumes you when you're a step closer to successfully pursuing your "unrealistic or silly dreams" as people usually say? Or the feeling when you see everything fall into place? If not, trust me, the feeling will consume you sooner than you think.

Content filled me as my family and I roamed around the lightly decorated art gallery, admiring the displayed paintings of many talented people, myself included. People around us chattered about the paintings excitedly while snapping them with their mobile phones.

My euphoric state refused to diminish, even after the unveiling of the paintings. A wide grin was plastered on my face, which highlighted my chocolate skin and my hair was styled in its signature afro. I wore a flared, off the shoulder African print dress with navy blue ballerina flats.

"We are so proud of you," my sister said for the hundredth time. "I'm sorry if I'm a bit annoying but I cannot help it."

"A bit?" I asked with a chuckle. "I understand where you're coming from. I would have done the same if the roles were reversed."

A small number of art agents spoke to me briefly as an attempt for me to be represented by them. I was aware of the art industry's tendency of robbing people's work, especially money wise. As a response, my parents and I told them that we would get back to them.

To celebrate, we headed to a restaurant nearby and spent the evening conversing quietly.

I answered the pending texts of my friends on my phone which congratulated my achievement. I lastly responded to Abel's recent message, who happened to still be awake. It read: Hey, how was your day?

I replied, saying: I'll tell you on the phone.

Spot 🤍

You're finally ready to listen to my hypnotising voice?

It's too late for you huge ego to be awake, Spot.

I'm sorry 😂
I'll be waiting.

After exchanging messages on social media which turned to instant messages, I finally built the courage to talk to him. Naturally, I had always been an awkward person and had poor conversational skills with people so I avoided all call buttons like a plaque. If it wasn't for the few emergency calls I had with my parents (which were necessary because they barely read their messages), I would have been completely abstinent from them.

My sudden change of heart shocked me as well but Abel was different, which was something I always knew but was still in awe of.

I dialled his number and he picked up on the second ring.

"I thought I wouldn't hear from you at all," his warm but deep voice rang in my ears as he chuckled softly.

"I'm trying to become more comfortable with being uncomfortable," I said, hoping he wouldn't notice the slight shakiness in my voice. "To answer your previous question, it was the best day of my life. I couldn't stop smiling."

"I could tell, I saw the pictures."

"The gallery snapped pictures of the painters? I didn't even realise," I said as I searched for the gallery's Instagram account. I was afraid to see how they came out. The thought of an ugly picture of me circulating on the Internet made my stomach to turn.