⚘22⚘

Sanaa ☯️

"I cannot believe that we'll be graduating in a year from now!" Tabitha exclaimed excitedly as she exited the examination room.

"I know right? I'm still in awe," I replied with a smile.

It was the last day of school, which meant we had a limited amount of time to prepare for the matric examinations next year. I religiously counted down the days, which wasn't the best decision on my part because I knew the amount of anxiety I got when it came to public exams. I had the tendency to fall ill whenever they were nearby, which was caused by the anxiety but the illness still made me more anxious if that made sense.

Pushing the thought aside, I walked with Tabitha towards the oak tree, where most most of the class sat.

"Thanks for waiting for me," she said as we got closer to them. "You're nice, unlike the others," she added, slightly raising her voice so that the others could hear.

"You take an eternity to finish any sort of exam, Tabitha. You cannot blame us," Nita said, chuckling.

"It's not my fault if I strive for perfection," she shrugged.

"But you still end up with an average grade," Damon mumbled loud enough to hear.

"You're so mean for no reason," Tabitha pouted playfully. Tabitha was a smart girl but she tended to overstress herself and was a huge daydreamer, which explained her average grades. "You and Sanaa deserve each other."

"I agree," Zara smiled slyly. "Both of them are very mean."

"I'm mean?" I asked jokingly. I was known for being overly sarcastic and my directness, which explained my unofficial nickname my classmates gave me, which was Ice Queen.

"YES!" they exclaimed in unison.

"I guess there's some accuracy to it."

"You guess? You act like you're innocent but you're actually ruthless!" Damon said, shaking his head.

"It's because you bring out that side in me."

"AWWW! Both of you bicker like a married couple!" my friends gushed as I visibly fake gagged. On the other hand, Damon had a smug look on his face.

"Please don't say that again," I said, still recovering from my fake gag.

"Will everyone attend the class party?" Kaya asked.

"No, I won't be able to go," Nita responded.

"Why not?"

"My boyfriend returns from Cederberg tomorrow."

"His arrival doesn't have anything to do with the party. You can still pick him up and attend the party. You know that the possibility of all of us meeting over the holidays are slim."

"I'm sorry but I miss my boyfriend."

"How long has he been away?"

"For three days."

We looked at her blankly before Lottie said, "It's only been three days! What is that man doing to you?"