⚘15⚘

Sanaa ☯

dream state.

"You're back," he smirked, walking towards me. "I thought I was never going to see you again."

"Why wouldn't I come back?" I rhetorically asked as I crossed my arms. "I fear no man."

"I didn't say that though."

"Your previous statements insinuated that," I answered as I lazily shrugged. "I apologise if I misunderstood your words."

His mouth slightly opened before he mumbled, "Nevermind."

"What do you feel like doing today?" I asked as I intertwined my hand in his before beginning to walk through the field.

"A picnic could be nice, don't you think?"

"I'd like that," I said with a smile.

The warm, comforting air hit our skins gently as my eyes glanced at his face every once in a while.

"We're here," he announced as we stopped in front of a spread out picnic cloth. An unopened picnic basket was placed at the corner of the cloth, which left enough space to spread the contents out and space to sit.

We took a seat, facing each other before he placed the basket between us to pull out the contents.

He pulled out a bouquet of hibiscus flowers and handed it to me, saying, "Delicate beauty," which referred to its significance.

With a slight blush, I thanked him, inhaling its sweet scent before placing it beside me.

He took out the rest of the basket's contents, which consisted of water, orange juice, a ton of sweet and savoury snacks and a fruit platter.

"What do you think?" he asked, not looking at me.

"It's perfect. I appreciate your effort," I replied and rubbed his shoulder as a sign of assurance.

While eating, we exchanged stories about our personal lives and I learned about his two best friends from the academy that also gained popularity recently. One of them, Mathéo DuBois, played for Nice, and the other one, Ibrahim Coly, played for Lille.

"It's a nice sight to see friends achieving their dreams together," I stated as he spoke of their experiences at the academy.

"I agree with you. At times I find everything too good to be true. I've achieved my dream at a young age despite my mind being clouded with doubts," he explained as we packed the items into the basket before cleaning the cloth and placing the basket aside.

Then, we lay down with our backs on the cloth and our faces staring directly at the pink sky.

"Why didn't you believe in yourself at first if I may ask?" I asked. "I experience it as well at times and it has the tendency to weigh me down."

"I thought I wasn't as talented as others made me to seem," he simply answered with a sigh before going into depth. "Football is a very competitive sport. Some people mould their children to play the sport from a young age while others develop the love of the sport by themselves. In my case, it was the latter. Most of these different children attend various academies with one aim: to play professionally. It's very easy to not have self esteem in that type of environment. In your mind, you're just another player."