⚘32⚘

Sanaa ☯️

My temporary safety bubble burst as soon as school started. My father was making a steady recovery but my school related worries made it harder for me to concentrate. The increasing assignments were too much to bear, the lessons did not process through my brain and the days to the final examinations drew closer.

I hated feeling out of control of the only thing I had control over.

"All things come to an end," I whispered as I finished the last assignment of the day. I glanced at the wall clock in my room, which displayed 5:19 PM. My stomach grumbled aggressively, which made me realize that I hadn't eaten all day.

I walked to the kitchen to eat a piece of fruit before eating whatever my mother prepared.

"How was your day?" Mom asked as she walked into the kitchen with some used dishes in her hands.

"Aside from the excessive workload, it was fine," I responded in a calm manner as I stretched my hands to take the dishes from her.

"It's fine, I'll put them in the dishwasher myself," she softly smiled. "I made beans. I think that should help you with your energy levels."

"Thank you. What did you do today?"

"The same routine," she replied, which was cooking, taking care / spending time with my father and spending time with my siblings when they complete their school work. "Have you spoken to your classmates in South Africa lately?"

"Yes," I replied, referring to Damon, who was the only person I still considered a friend.

"Are you only talking about Damon?"

"You know me so well."

"The entire situation is just unfortunate."

"Yeah..." I trailed off as the memories flashed in my head. "but I'm glad that the situation happened. It really opened my eyes about everything."

"I admire your growth," she hugged me.

"Thank you," I said while returning the hug.

"How's Abel?"

"He's fine," I replied as I looked at his recent message, which read: Just got back home.

We haven't seen each other since school / the second half of the season started. Our schedules constantly clashed, which made it impossible for us to meet. Although we set time aside to talk to each other, I still missed his presence.

I hope we'll find time to hang out soon.

"That's nice to hear. How's your portfolio going so far?"

"It's almost done," I smiled. "Do you want to take a look?"

She nodded eagerly in response, which caused me to let out a little chuckle.

Her eyes gleamed in admiration as she went through the portfolio in my room.

"You already know how I feel about your work so I'm not going to say anything," she remarked as she handed me the portfolio. "I'm glad you inherited my favorite trait of mine."