⚘8⚘

❗TRIGGER WARNING ❗

Sanaa ☯️

I tapped my nails against the dining table as my other hand supported my head in thought. Nita's sudden absence from school worried me for some reason. We had gotten closer throughout the weeks but I couldn't push off the feeling that there was more to her than what meets the eye.

Contacting her through phone calls turned out to be fruitless due to her unavailability. Social media wasn't an option as well because she didn't have access to a device with internet. Visiting her was completely crossed off because no one knew where she exactly lived. She had the tendency to switch locations when certain situations didn't suit her.

"I admire how you care about your friend," Mom said when I was done telling her about the information I gathered from my  friend. "I would like to meet her someday."

"The right time will come," I replied with a shrug. "Aren't you skeptical about her?" I asked Mom as I thought of Nita.

"It's no surprise that some people may skeptical of her for various reasons but from what I've heard she's harmless. Yes, she's keeping secrets but everyone has the right to hold on to something they don't want to talk about. She's just a poor girl that got thrown in the rich people's world, " she concluded.

The last statement was true. She was a scholar that attended our school since the 7th grade and was sponsored by a family friend of hers that worked at the UN. A good thing I've noticed was that a good amount of students  respect her and abstain from shunning her away because of her economical status.

"Hmmm," Mom hummed, her eyebrows drawn together as she looked at her phone. "Your father has to drop you at school because your bus has a malfunction. Where are your siblings?"

I shrugged in response.

"They will literally be the death of me," she groaned to herself. "AMA! KAI! COME HERE NOW!"

"We're coming, Mom," they called out.

"What are you doing? You know how Dad hates to be late."

They came downstairs with our father and we told our mother goodbye before leaving. She decided to work part time so that she could spend more time with us. It was a huge decision but we were happy to have her around more.

On our way to school, Dad nudged me to gain my attention.

"Yes?" I asked.

"She's your schoolmate, right?" he asked, his eyes focused on a person that stood at the junction. I focused on the person and realised that it was Nita. From the looks of it, she was looking for a taxi.

"Yes, in fact she's my friend. That's Nita."

"Oh, really? Let's pick her up."

"Thanks, Dad."

We stopped in front of her and I rolled the window down before calling her.

"Sanaa, hi! Did you miss the bus too?" she said.

"No, the bus has a malfunction and we don't know when it will be fixed. Come join us."

"Okay, thank you so much," she said, entering the car. "Good morning Mr. Jacobs, good morning Ama and Kai."

"Good morning," they replied.

"How are you, Nita?" Dad asked as he drove.

"I'm fine, thank you," she replied with a smile. From her looks it was easy to tell that she was ill. Her skin looked dull, her face showed exhaustion, her voice was slightly croaked and she lost weight.