⚘9⚘

❗TRIGGER WARNING ❗

Sanaa

The satisfied look on my brother's face after sharing the items at the orphanage was enough to light up my day. From his character and gifts I could tell that he would be an influential person when he grows up. I was happy we could support the community with our items and I silently prayed for the children's future. They served as a reminder to be grateful for the things you have despite the downsides of life.

We ended my brother's birthday with the hike he was promised and spent some time at the beach.

My hands were placed on my stomach as I focused on my breathing while lying on my bed. The uncomfortable restlessness returned to bug me. It was something I developed with time and built up mental and emotional stress and it was difficult for me to control. The only solution I had was to distract myself with an activity. I had to find something to do before the entire household heard me hyperventilating in my room.

I took out my art materials and began to draw. With time, my breathing returned to normal and my chest stopped tightening. My drawing was of a girl in a hoodie and sweatshorts staring at the nightsky filled with a crescent moon and stars while sitting on a bay window. I added some color and wrote a description of the drawing, a habit I developed to give an outsider an insight of my thoughts, feelings and the message I tried to get across.

"Sanaa," my mother called out, breaking me away from my thoughts.

"Yes, Mom?"

"Are you okay?" she asked, taking a seat on my bed.

"Yes, why?"

"I had a feeling you were restless so I decided to check up on you."

I sighed in annoyance. It was one of the downsides of having a highly intuitive mother. It was nearly impossible to hide your feelings because she felt them before you even feel them.

" You're not mistaken."

"Didn't I tell you to stop stressing yourself so much? What were you thinking about now?"

"Nothing," I said honestly. "At times it happens randomly."

She sighed before saying, "At least it's over. Just get some rest, it's late."

I nodded and hugged her, a gesture which she returned. Her embrace improved my mood, which was one of the many "superpowers" my mother had. We exchanged "good nights" and I switched off the lights before dozing off.

dream state

"I was beginning to think that you were never coming back," he said from behind, startling me.

"Why would you think that?" I asked, not facing him.

"Why wouldn't I? You suddenly disappeared for a month."

"Yeah, sorry about that."

To be honest, I was purposely avoiding him because I was afraid of saying the things I couldn't come to term with to him. I was still intimidated by the way I could open up to him without limits but I couldn't tell him that. I didn't want to seem too lovestruck.