We are the champions

Brian's POV:

When I woke up, I was all nervous inside. Today was the last day of the event, and the last day of competition. I wanted to win, no I needed to win. There was no way I was loosing today. Despite being tired, I forced myself to get dressed. Around the time I was brushing my teeth, Will finally woke up. 

"Why are you up so early?", he yawned as he started getting dressed too. I washed my mouth and dried it with the towel. "I don't know, nervous energy I guess?" I walked out of the bathroom and grabbed my big binder. "We start at 9 pm in hall 3, then  hall 2. If we win one of those rounds, we'll most likely go to finals, which is in hall 1", I informed Will while he was combing his hair. 

We packed our stuff before leaving the hotel room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Okay, everybody huddle", Miss Johnson told us as we all got in a close circle. "I would just like to say that I'm extremely proud of you all. Brian and Will, you have impressed me a lot. And your fighting has diminished immensely these past few days. Anna, thank you for always keeping count of the other teams and always updating us. Jackson, thank you for bringing us snacks and giving emotional support. It doesn't matter if we get to finals, or if we win. We did our best and we had fun. Now good luck!", she said. The others started splitting up as Miss Johnson grabbed my sleeve. 

"We're winning, right?", she whispered to me. "Oh yeah, totally", I whispered back and smirked. She patted me on the back. "I put my trust in you, Kim", she saluted me. I saluted her back before turning around and doing a small run to catch up with Will. "Are you nervous?", I asked as I looked at him. He looked down at me. "Not really", he shrugged. "You?" I chewed on the inside of my mouth. "Kinda. I just really wanna win", I said. "Winning isn't everything you know? You learn a lot from just participating", he said. I just shrugged, but deep inside I knew it was bullshit. I still wanted to win.

We entered hall 3 15 minutes before the debate started. When I tried to grab my notes, my hand slipped and I accidentally dropped them. "Shit", I muttered as my notes spilled everywhere. I crouched down and started picking up the pieces of paper. Will went to the other side and picked up the rest of my papers.

"Hey!", Will spun me around and smacked both of my cheeks with his hands. "Ow", I mumbled as he squished my face. "Um, sorry", he said, loosening his grip on my face. "Get it together! We have come so far and you've literally made no mistakes. You're so close to the goal, just focus one step at a time", he scolded. "Don't let yourself get distracted now."

I took a deep breath through my nose. "Right right. You're right. One step at a time", I nodded as I organized my notes. The jury got seated as both teams went onto the stage. I felt the familiar feeling of fear mixed with excitement. This is what I lived for. The adrenaline rush felt so good, and standing in the spotlight made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Both debates went well. At one point, Will forgot the statistics of how polluted the pacific ocean is, but luckily I remembered. On the last round, I mixed up my notes so I had to improvise from what I remembered. I just hoped this wouldn't affect us too much.

Will, Anna, Miss Johnson and I all sat in a waiting area where the staff had put up tables and chairs for us. Anna was looking through her notebook as she spoke. "From the looks of it, Northshore high is definitely going to finals", she declared. Three teams had participated in the semi finals. Northshore, Oakwood and us. According to Anna, Northshore had been better than Oakwood. Miss Johnson also agreed that while we did a good job, Northshore had come with slightly better arguments than us. So Northshore practically was a sure finalist. Now it all depended on the debate between Oakwood and us. 

We had done pretty well, but since I messed up my notes, I wasn't sure I had as many statistics backing my arguments as I would have liked. And the guilt of maybe ruining this for everyone was eating me up inside. "So you were pretty equally good, I can't really say for sure who had the upper hand in the debate with Oakwood", Anna commented. "However, it's pretty clear to see you guys were far stronger than Oakwood if you consider the debate both of you had with Northsho-", she observed as she was cut of by a loud yell. 

"Hey guysssss", Jackson yelled, waving his hands in the air. Plastic bags where hanging from his hands. "I got us the snacks!", he proudly said as he started pulling out snacks and soda. "Jackson, use your indoor voice please. Also, you just interrupted Anna", Miss Johnson sighted. Jacksons eyes widened as he looked at Anna. "Oh gosh, I'm sorry", he apologized, his voice softer than before. He scratched his neck as he gave her an apologetic look. Anna met his eyes before quickly averting her gaze. "It's fine", she muttered. I couldn't help but notice her cheeks reddening as she covered her face with her hair.

~~~~~~~~~~  

We were all gathered in front of the bullet board excitedly. We had to mush together to see clearly, and my back was starting to hurt. A woman in a pinstriped suit and red heels held a piece of paper that soon was going to change my life. She managed to pin it on the board without anyone seeing the results. She quickly hurried away and left us all to stare in anticipation. Jackson screamed. Anna started jumping up and down. Will grinned at me. "It's time to prepare for finals", he smirked.

A/N: Aaaaah I'm finally back, I missed you guys so much! I'm so happy to finally get back to this book. Summer is coming and I officially have no excuse not to write lol. Consider my hiatus officially over!

(Should I delete the notice chapter, I don't want to stress new readers?)