Debatable meeting

After getting through that hella embarrassing day, I skipped to the debate club classroom. My pride was kinda hurt when I saw that Will had arrived before me, but I put on a big smile and greeted the teacher. "Hello, Miss Johnson." Miss Johnson was a very awesome 25 year old teacher. She graduated with a bachelor in social studies, and is now stuck teaching teens about society. She used to have dark curly hair, but she shaved it. That kinda made her even cooler. She was a tall woman, with skin like mocha. Her eyes were a dashing mix of hazel and brown. She often wore big earrings, and was easily the most attractive teacher at our school. She had a girlfriend tho. And she was really open about it, which pissed off some of the older teachers. Which again pissed me off. 

"Brian Kim, why are you such a tardy club leader huh? What kinda example does that set for the rest of the club", she frowned. "Well, technically, I was in the lecture hall at the other end of the school. Walking from there to here would be about 7 minutes. But I, the great leader Brian, sacrificed my own comfort for this club and speedwalked at a whopping 3 minutes. If that isn't setting a great example, then I really don't know what is." Miss Johnson chuckled and pointed at me.

"And that, Kim, is the reason you're the leader." She grabbed my ear and twisted it playfully. "If you are late again, Imma beat your ass." Miss Johnson had been there for me when I needed someone to talk to, and it was a little embarrassing to admit it, but she was one of my best friends. I sat down on one of the chairs and Miss Johnson smiled at us. "Now kids, I have some very special news for you. We are going to a debate event this month, about a week from now. It's going to be in Washington. Brian will of course go, and there will be three other students with him. One teammate and two substitutions. Anyone can volunteer and we will vote. I will take the votes into consideration when I pick the people that get to go." "Why do you get to pick who goes?", asked a boy who was probably a sophomore. Miss Johnson grinned evilly. "Because I am the adult and I have all the power."

Immediately Anna put her hand up. Her small arm stretching to the ceiling like she was trying to grab bts concert tickets. Will also put his hands up, but more chill. Ugh, everything he does is cool. A guy named Jackson, I think, also put his hand up. All the freshmen seemed too shy, and there were few sophomores and juniors this year. Being a senior had it's perks. 

Miss Johnson clapped her hands together. "Well then, it's decided who goes. Now vote for Will, Anna or Jackson. Who do YOU think should represent our school." Jackson got 2 votes, Anna got 4 and Will got a whopping 6 votes. Yeeeeeeeeeeeey. "Then Brian and Will are going to represent us at Washington yearly debate for teenagers, and Anna and Brian will be our back ups if one of them gets sick. Anna is 1st back up and Jackson is 2nd." Everyone gave us applause, and I can't say I didn't love the attention. Will walked over to me and put his face very close to mine.

"Good luck." I frowned. "You're saying that like we are fighting against each other. If we really want this to work, we should probably practice our teamwork." He narrowed his eyes, and I swear to God my heart skipped a beat. He then leaned back and dragged a hand through his golden hair. "Okay then. Let's meet at my place tomorrow at six." "Wait! I don't want to-" Before I could finish my sentence, Will walked out of class, leaving me standing there looking like an idiot.

I turned around and smiled at the remaining club. "So, I hope you will all cheer us on. Even tho it's only us four that's going to Washington, if y'all work hard, I believe you can go next year", I said, even though no one even volunteered. "Meetings dismissed." I watched as the last student left, and turned around to Miss Johnson.

She patted the chair in front of her and I sat down. "So, Brian, how is it going at home?" I shrugged. "Well, mom is fine, I think. She still doesn't work though, but I think she's getting better. Eric is having a lovely time at Harvard. My mom is still not proud of me. I don't miss dad." Miss Johnson nodded. "I see. It's nice to see that your mom is getting over her grief, but what do you mean she still isn't proud of you." I sighted and ran a hand through my dark brown hair. "Well, no matter what I do Eric will always be the favorite. She doesn't really measure in effort or improvement. If you are the best then you are the best in her eyes." "I just don't get it!" She threw out her arms at her sides. "You are so smart, and well spoken, and friendly. And a pretty attractive guy." I blushed. 

Miss Johnson was the one helping me accept myself for the way I look. I used to hate my slanted eyes and thick lips, I just wanted green eyes and a strong jawline. I wanted to be white, or at least look white. After ranting about it to Miss Johnson she told me a long speech about how everyone is beautiful and the things that doesn't fit the beauty standard might be the thing that makes us attractive and unique. She also explained the reason I never had a girlfriend was probably because of lack of confidence, because confidence is the best thing you can wear. It sounds really cliche, but it really helped me.

"I guess I'm just not good enough to be her son..." 

"But you are the 15th highest ranking kid among the seniors." 

"My brother was 3rd." 

"You're the leader of the debate club!" 

"My brother was the president in model UN." 

"In the school?" 

I shook my head. "In the state." 

She whistled. "Your brother was such an overkill. Just remember, I am proud of you no matter what, okay?" 

I nodded and gave her a hug. 

"And for gods sake, can you and Will PLEASE work together instead of against each other for once." 

"I can once he stops being and asshole." I left the classroom with a huge grin on my face.