A happy ever after?

Will's POV:

"Are you really sure you want me to be there? I won't be mad if you change your mind", Brian asked me for the hundredth time. "Yes", I rolled my eyes. "You know I didn't mean it when I said you won just because you're popular", he said. "Yes", I sighted again. Because I was the student body president, I was supposed to hold a speech at our graduation. I had suggested that Brian and I did it together, as we had done basically the same amount of work. Our principal had agreed, though she seemed quite surprised at the suggestion. She was used to us fighting every student council meeting, after all.

"I just don't want to be included in the speech because I'm your boyfriend and you're a total simp", he pouted. "Brian", I grabbed him by the arms and squeezed him. "I won't force you to join me, but I asked you because I think you deserve it, not because I simp for you", I earnestly told him. "But maybe you just don't have the public speaking skills necessary", I smirked, lifting my brow.

"Oh no you didn't", he murmured, his expression darkening. "I am so definitely gonna deliver my part of the speech better than you!", he yelled, trying to tackle me to the ground. I easily held him back, using one arm to hold his head while his arms tried (and failed) to grab me. "I wonder if it's your height that makes you so weak, or if you're just built like that", I teased him.

"Guys!", Cole whined. "Can you please not. I'm trying to eat my burrito here. I did not sign up to be a third wheel", he complained. I calmed down and sat down on my chair, picking at my salad. Brian sat down too, but not without scoffing and rolling his eyes. "Oh please, you and Jace are literally dating", he accused him. Cole's ears flushed dark red. "N-no, we're not", he mumbled, but even I saw how badly he lied.

"Who's Jace again?", I asked. I could not for the life of me remember names. Some people might think I don't care to remember anyone because I'm cocky, but that's not it. I remembered the face, just not the name connected to it. After finding out Brian's best friend's name was Cole, I spent two weeks calling him brownie before remembering his actual name. The only name I remembered since my first meeting was Brian.

"It's elf boy", Brian answered. "You know, the guy with white hair», he explained. I furrowed my brows, trying to remember. Then it came to me. A fairly skinny guy, who I thought looked like an elf because of his pointy nose and white hair. Brian said he saw it, Cole didn't.

"Brian!", a familiar voice suddenly said. We turned around to see Miss Johnson walking towards us, wearing a red suit. "Wow, it's been ages", she said, greeting him. "Mrs. Johnson! How is everything going with the baby?", he asked excitedly. Miss Johnson grinned. "It's going well. He's a healthy baby boy", she said.

After our trip to Washington, Mrs. Johnson had left school. Nobody really knew why, and when students heard she was on maternity leave, they were even more confused. Mrs. Johnson was a very tall and skinny woman, and there was no bump on her stomach. Only the people who knew her, like me and Brian, knew that it was her girlfriend who was pregnant.

"Oh , hey Will. Hey Cole", she greeted us. "Hi Miss Johnson", I greeted. Cole waved back at her. "I'm glad to see you two get along now", she smiled, looking between Brian and I. "Oh, they more than get along", Cole muttered. Brian gave him a look. "Oh, I'm sure they do", she smirked, winking at Brian. "Well, I won't hold up you lovebirds anymore. Good luck on your graduation", she told us before waving goodbye.

"I swear I'll kill you one day", Brian grumbled. "Admit it, you love me", Cole blew him a kiss, and Brian's face twisted into disgust. I slapped my hand over Brian's mouth. "Don't kiss my boyfriend", I scolded Cole, glaring at him. "Woah, jealousy is not a good look on you", Cole chuckled. I was about to protest when Brian bit down on my hand.

"Ow, what the heck", I yelped. "It's really cute how you never curse", Brian cackled. "I grew up in a religious household", I mumbled, my cheeks heating up in embarrassment. "Save that lovey dovey shit for our graduation", Cole groaned. "Oh, about graduation... ", Brian looked excitingly at me. "I invited Aisha!", he said, looking happy. His expression slightly faltered when he saw my reaction. "You still talk to her?", I asked him, trying not to sound strained. "Uh, yeah. We text sometimes", Brian said, a lot less excited.

Though Brian didn't notice, Cole looked at me. It was if to silently remind me that jealousy was not a good look on me, only this time there was no joking tone. I tried to plaster a smile on my face. "It's cool that you kept in touch. I look forward to see her again, too", I said, trying to sound happy. "Really?", Brian gave me a look of uncertainty. "Really", I affirmed.

Brian smiled and continued to eat his sandwich. Cole nodded at me, like he was telling me "good job". I couldn't help but smile to myself. For the first time in my life, I was excited to be living.

I hadn't really been living before. I just thought that was how everyone felt, but after meeting Brian, and especially after dating him, I realized I had been sleep walking through life, not knowing how to wake up. But Brian woke me up, and now I felt present in the moment.

Brian's POV:

If last year me found out that senior me would confront my mother, date Will Miller and move in with him in a flat in New York, I would probable have fainted. But that was my life now. Me, studying political science, while Will studied education. We had found a small cheap flat in New York, and our mothers agreed to help us pay rent the first months. I was really moving in with Will soon. My boyfriend!

I was expecting a boring senior year, filled with homework and essays. Instead, I got the craziest year of my life. But I also got stability. My life was always hard, and I always felt like I had to go through it alone. But now, I had a solid support system. People who cared about me and loved me.

After talking to my mother, I moved right back in. I had to cherish these moments with her. After all, I was moving very far away. And it felt weird. Because I was nearing the start of something new. The real life. But at the same time, something was coming to an end. It felt threatening, like standing at the beach, looking at the open ocean. Like childhood was the free trial, and now, I would commit to this life I made for myself. But I can't lie, I was goddamn excited. Because, after all, I had an endless amount of time left to learn.

The end

A/N:
Thank you so much for reading this book.

wow. I started this story for fun when I was 14. I was just daydreaming about academic rivals to lovers, because enemies to lovers is my favorite trope, and I was bored. I was happy if only one person read my book. Now, all of you guys have read it!
I can't believe I've spent two years writing this book. Thank you for reading through, even though my uploading schedule was a mess. I'll try to keep it sweet and short, so I'm done with the sentimental stuff lol.

I'm submitting this book for the wattys 2022!

I have some extra chapter that I will realize after the wattys is done:))
I also have another book planned   I think the title will be «playing the player», but that might get changed. As many of you guessed, Cole will get his own book! I can't say when that book will be published. I plan on writing at least 2/3 of the book before uploading, so I can be more consistant with uploads.

I will also post a QnA. The first one was..something. So I'm trying again now that I have more experience. If you have any questions about the characters/story,  to the characters or to me, please ask them here:)

I will post a QnA chapter along with the extra chapters when the wattys are done:)

Again, thank you so much and goodbye~