Work, work and more work

Cole picked me up the next day as promised. When I got into the car, he gave me a mischievous smile.  "So, Brianbear, what were you up to last night?", he asked, wiggling his eyebrows. "For you to ignore someone as wonderful as me, it must be someone special", he said. I cleared my throat. "Um, actually, I was with Will yesterday." Cole chocked. "What!", he yelled. "But you hate him?" I shrugged. "Yeah, but we are on the debate team together. And you know how important that is for me", I argued. "Still", Cole shook his head. "What were you two doing together? Debating?", he asked. "No, we just made some rules. To tolerate each other or whatever. It as his idea, not mine", I said.

Cole sniffed and fake cried. "Are you replacing me? The only best friend you've managed to keep? And for Will Harris", he dramatically proclaimed. I laughed. "Don't worry, man. I will never replace you. Especially not with Will." I was showing Cole love, but in a sad way, it was true. I've never had time for friends, so my best friends usually got tired of me never hanging with them. Cole was such a social guy, he didn't mind me not spending my time with him that often. We were loyal to each other, and that's what mattered.

When I walked down the hallway, many people waved or nodded or said hi. I was a guy many people knew who were, but not a guy that had many true friends. Still, being well known and well liked was important. If I was Will Miller popular, I'd probably be president. Sight. I wish.

I walked to different classes, dreading the end of the day. I would work at the café from 3 to 7, then I would have to go to Will's house. Again.

After the last class, I went to my locker and packed my stuff. Cole walked over to me. "Ready?", he asked. I nodded and we walked to the parking lot. We got into the car , and drove to sentrum. It was a beautiful day, warm and sunny. If only it wasn't the day I had to go to Will's house for the second time, it was going to be sooo awkward.

Cole drove me to the café. I went to the backroom of the café and started changing. The café was really small, so apart from the kitchen, there was only a small hall where we could change. I could also change in the bathroom, but the stalls were small, and I felt bad if I occupied the handicap bathroom.

I pulled my shirt over my head and put on a black t-shirt and an apron.  I went to the cash register, but my boss Ana told me;"There's some problems with the cash register today, and my leg hurts. Could you please serve tables today?" I noddded. "Sure, no problem", I said. I started washing and cleaning tables as guest filled the café. I talked to a couple of guest, and everything went really good. I even got a lot of tips today. Then Will and some of his friends from football walked into the café. As if this day couldn't get any worse.

One of his friends pointed at me and yelled. "Hey Kim, come here!" "Shit", I muttered under my breath. I walked over to them and plastered on a big fake smile. "Hi, how can I help you today?", I asked. They exchanged weird looks, before the guy who yelled out my name decided to speak up. I think his named is Chad. "So, since when did you work here?", he asked. "Um, I've worked here for a few months maybe?", I answered. I looked at Will but he looked down at the table, like he was ashamed or something.

Chad continued blabbering. "So, do we like, get a free discount or something? Cuz you go to our school?" I shook my head. "No, sorry. I can't give you a discount." Chad sighted in annoyance. "Kay, fine. Let's order." They all ordered sandwiches, but Will only ordered something to drink. Weird. I knew money wasn't a problem for him. I took their order and came back with their food, once it was done. I placed their drinks down when Chad turned to me yet again to talk to me. 

"So, I was just wondering. Why do you guys not serve Chinese food?", Chad asked. I clenched my teeth. "Because this isn't a Chinese restaurant?", I said. Chad looked confused, but I was pretty sure he was faking it. Still, he could just be an idiot. "Oh, I just thought since you worked here." I made an uncomfortable face. "Chad, please shut up", Will said. Chad shushed him. "Shhh, let him finish." "Well first of all, I'm Korean, not Chinese. Second of all, I've worked here for like a couple months.I don't think they would adjust their menu to my ethnicity. And yeah, I just work as a waiter, I don't make the food." Chad smiled. "See, Will, he can speak proper english." Chad looked at me. "You don't even have an accent."

I clenched my fists in an attempt to calm myself down. "If there isn't anything else you need, I will be going now", I said. "Wait, can I just ask one more question?", Chad asked. Without waiting for my answer, he said;"Do you actually eat the food here, or do you eat dogs and cats?", he snickered. Some of the guys around the table laughed while others just looked uncomfortable. Cowards.

"Sorry, but if you're going to be racist, I have to ask you to leave", I said. Chad frowned in annoyance. "But I'm not racist. Chinese people eat dogs", he argued. I pointed a finger at him. "First of all, I'm Korean. Second of all, not all Chinese people eat dogs. It's only a tradition in some provinces. But you probably don't know what that is. Also, why was there a need for you to ask me such a question. As a waiter there is no need for me to give you any personal information about me." Chad frowned and clenched his fists as he rose from his chair, grabbing my shirt. I smirked.

"Don't feel too stupid, just educate yourself when you come home okay", I smiled. Chad raised his fist. "You want me to punch you?", he growled. I laughed. "Whoa there, calm down. I'm not afraid of you. But the way you've taken such an interest in me, do you perhaps have a crush on me?", I chuckled. "Oh sorry, maybe you don't know the word perhaps yet. It is equivalent to maybe. Sorry if I use too big words you, big boy." I laughed as Chad's face got redder and redder. His hands shaking. He was probably going to hit me any minute.

I really hoped he would. Then I would have some blackmail on him, or I could file a lawsuit. I had plenty of witnesses, as the whole café had started to stare at the scene. I might even get a little bit of a bonus for being hurt. Maybe even a free nosejob. But before he could hit me and earn me some money, someone pushed us apart. Will grabbed Chad's wrist and pulled his hand away from my shirt. "Calm down, just leave", he said to Chad. Chad looked annoyed, but he nodded and left, the whole gang following him. We watched them leave the café. Will turned to me. "Are you okay?", he asked, looking at the place Chad gripped my shirt. I nodded. "Yeah, it's fine. I'm used to it", I replied. "Aren't you going to leave too?", I asked. Will sat down in the same chair he used when he was with Chad. "Nah, since we're doing math after this, I thought I'd give you a ride", he explained. I nodded. "Sure, thanks. Tell me if you need anything." Will nodded and I left.

Working when Will was close to me was stressful. Especially since he kept staring at me. I nearly tripped when I gave him his lemonade. This was utterly embarrassing.  I walked up to his table to tell him I was done and that I just had to change clothes. I wouldn't have time to shower. Ugh I hope I don't smell bad, I thought. I walked to the small hallway between the kitchen and the toilets and started unbuttoning my shirt. I was halfway done with pulling down my t-shirt when I heard Will's voice. "Brian, are you done soon-?", he asked. He froze when he saw me nearly shirtless. "Oh my God, sorry", he yelped. I was blushing furiously. "Turn around!", I yelled and he did. I quickly pulled down my t-shirt.

This shouldn't even be embarrassing. If we had P.E. together we would have seen a lot more of each other than the bottom of my stomach. So why did I feel so embarrassed?  

I walked behind Will and tapped his shoulder. "I'm ready now." Will nodded. "Let's go", he said and started walking away. I followed him to the parking lot and got into his car. We drove in silence, and I'd lie if I said it wasn't awkward.

Will opened his mouth. "There's something I have to tell you." I blinked. "Uh, okay. Shoot."

"I'm really sorry. For what happened to you at the café."

I shrugged. "I mean, you weren't really in on it."

"But I didn't stand up for you. That was shitty of me, I'm sorry."

I chewed my lip. "It's okay. I feel worse for you than for me."

Will knitted his brows in confusion. "Why?", he asked.

"I can live with the hate, it won't stop me from doing what I want. You're so afraid of what others think, it's like a prison at this point."

The rest of the drive was eerily quiet.