(33) Down the Rabbit Hole

PERCY POV

Summer break was coming to an end in a couple of weeks. It still boggles me how much has happened in the last few years. My life has changed so much.

Right after discovering my Greek heritage and that I was a demigod my world was turned upside down. When I was twelve I was sent on a quest to retrieve Zeus' master bolt and Hades' helm of darkness to prevent a war. Next, I went on a quest to retrieve the golden fleece to save the camp barrier. In turn, Thalia was "brought back to life" and it was revealed that Kronos was beginning to rise. And just last winter we traveled to Mount Othrys in California to rescue the maiden goddess. Who by the way left with the hunters for a quick secret mission. I don't know what their definition of "quick" is but, in my book it definitely isn't 6 months and counting. 

I've already suffered through my last semester of middle school and my summer vacation is about to end and they're still not back. Thalia has answered some of my Iris messages but they're always cut short. But so far it seems like she's fitting in well and having fun. I know she wouldn't say it to us but I could tell she felt out of place here. I'm glad she finally found somewhere she could call home. 

"Percy!" I turned around to face Grover who was standing just standing just outside of the doorway. 

"Oh, hey Grover. Sorry, I was lost in thought and I didn't see you there." 

"I can tell. What's on your mind?" he asked as I continued to pack some of my things. "Nervous about starting at a new school or are you thinking about your date with Annabeth?" he finished with a teasing look. 

"No, not quite. I was thinking about Thalia." 

His expression softened, "She's fine Percy. You're worrying too much. She's in the hands of a goddess."

"I know I know. But they've been gone for so long. And whenever I call she's always vague. And I know she's with Lady Artemis but she's not invincible," I quickly shook off the memories of her in chains. 

"She'll be back Percy. For now, why don't you get ready and enjoy your date with your girlfriend, who's waiting for you at the beach." 

"Eh, I still got a couple of minutes. Now, why don't you tell me what has you so worried," I asked, pointing at his tapping foot.

He glanced down and immediately stopped. He let out a long sigh and fiddled with his fingers. "I'm being summoned by the Council of Cloven Elders. They're going to revoke my searcher's license."

I immediately stopped what I was doing, "What! They can't do that! How are you so sure?" 

"Um they very much can and I just know they are." 

"I-" I was interrupted by the sound of my alarm going off and dashed to turn it off. "Look I've got to see Annabeth but we can talk some more when we meet up later. You're going to pick me up from school right?"

"Yeah," he said quietly. 

"Cool," I said closing the dooring behind me while putting on my backpack. "I'll see you later," waving goodbye and rushing towards the beach. I know he was shaking his head as I ran. 

*******

I arrived panting. 

"I'm here!" I announced while leaning over with my hands on my knees. "I think that's the fastest I've ever run." 

"You're late," the blonde said with an exasperated tone, arms crossed and eyebrow raised. 

"Just a few minutes," I said kissing her cheek to calm her down. "I'm sorry, I got distracted talking to Grover."