(11) Tears of the Heart

PREVIOUSLY

Apollo placed an emerald stone-like object on Percy's forehead. It glowed before dissolving but it seemed to have the desired effects for it caused the pressure in the air to dissipate.

Zoe could breathe normally again and Apollo released a sigh of relief. So many questions filled her head. She has never seen something like that happen before. Before she could make out a word Percy began mumbling in his sleep.

Then she heard something she thought she would never hear again, "Arty".

*****

THIRD POV

There was a long moment of silence.
"Did he just..." Zoe started

She turned to Apollo and she caught a glimpse of him in a state of panic before covering it up. 

"He just said..." she tried to form the words. Apollo ignored her attempts and continued his work as if nothing just happened. 

"Lord Apollo you must have heard that to" 

"And what might you be referring to?" he tried to play it off. 

"Stop playing dumb. You hear it. You heard him say it." her tone started to rise. "He called out for her in her sleep. Don't deny it. You hear him too!" 

"He called for a nickname that she Artemis also possesses. But that doesn't mean he was calling for her." 

"But-" 

"Don't be foolish, Zoe!" his voice turning cold. "What do you plan to do then. Are you going to run to Artemis and tell her?" 

"I-" 

"Perseus died. Whatever guilt you hold for leaving Perseus that day...do not project it onto this child. Artemis has finally moved on after hurting for so long. Do not ruin this for her!" 

****
THE NEXT DAY

It was Zoe's shift for early morning scouting. She barely got any sleep. She spent the night pondering what Apollo had said. 

Many of her questions remained unanswered but she knew that Apollo had a point. 

What would she do after hearing him say something like that? It could've been a mistake. If she had run off and told Lady Artemis then what? She didn't even consider what effect that would have on her or how she would react. 

She sighed at her recklessness, "He's just a demigod. He will never be Perseus. He's gone now." 

****

Zoe spent the last hour jumping from tree to tree, checking the perimeter of the camp. She was about to come back to the camp when she caught sight of a figure by the river at a clearing. She went closer to get a better look and realized it had been her goddess. 

She jumped off the tree and called after her. 

At the sound of her name, Artemis turned to face her. 

"Oh Zoe, it's just you." she turned back to stare at the running water of the river. 

"I didn't realize you had come back. I looked for you yesterday but it didn't seem like you were at camp," she said while approaching. 

"Yes. I apologize for that. I need some time for myself but I wasn't gone for too long." 

"No, I should be apologizing. I overstepped" 

"No don't I was being too rash. I let my emotions get the best of me." 

"You don't have to bottle it up all the time you know."

"There are consequences if I do that. I am a goddess after all." 

Zoe has known the goddess for quite a while now. She's picked up on all of her mannerisms and could tell her emotions even when she tried to hide them. But there are some things that she could never relate to. 

She didn't respond. 

"How's he doing? I assume my brother looked over him again." the moon goddess inquired bringing her out of her thoughts. 

"He's doing a lot better. His condition is stable now. He should be waking up in a few days. His aura flared up again yesterday but Lord Apollo was able to stop it. He suggested giving the boy a bottle of some green liquid he left behind if the demigod felt off after waking up." she explained.

"I see. That's good. So much has happened it feels like we've been here for quite some time. We should head to camp soon" 

Zoe's thoughts went back to the events from yesterday and her conversation from last night. 

"M'lady?" 

Artemis turned to face her, "Yes?" 

"What would you do if...What do you think it would be like if Perseus was still here?" 

"It would be very different. The world would be more colorful. When he passed away he made many people sad. When he left he took with him all the good he left behind." With a somber look ended the conversation, "Let's go back. I'm sure everyone is waking up now. Besides, it's getting exhausting thinking of what of the 'what ifs'. All we can do now is move forward."