Ch.17 "Awkward"

Brandon sat speechless after I finished telling him how I got separated from my family.

"Garmadon found me after that in that alleyway and took me with him so I won't get hurt in the middle of the attack. He took me to the volcano and gave me everything I needed. Even if he's kinda mean to me right now, I still owe him a lot."

Brandon didn't say anything, so I asked "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just..." He looked like he was about to cry.

"Don't tell me you'll start crying."

"I won't." He added "It's just a sad story. I can't believe you've been through that, and you were only four years old."

"Yeah...it still hurts when I think about it..." I took another bite of my food. "But it's okay, I'm over it. I don't even remember that much about my family so that makes it easier."

He asked, interested in what I said "You don't remember your family? Like...at all?"

I kept my eyes on my food "Kind of. I was just four when I last saw them. Their faces got blurrier the older I got. I don't remember that much about them, only a few random memories." I took another bite and added "To be honest, I don't even think I remember their names."

He paused. "Not even your brother's name?"

"No." I kept eating, "And it doesn't matter anymore, because he's gone."

His attention rose from his plate to my eyes. I wished I could read his mind, because I'm sure he's been thinking too much without saying anything.

I asked, changing the subject "What about you?"

"Huh?" He was definitely lost in thoughts.

"Do you have any family members?"

"Oh," he answered "I lost my parents during the first attack too. I've been looking for them for a while now but I found nothing. I doubt that they're even alive at this point."

"Don't worry," I gave him a smile "I'm sure you'll find them. And even if you don't, you still have me." I added "You can consider me your sister if you want."

He smiled "Thanks."

"Okay now, let's finish eating before the food cools down and then we'll watch my favorite movie."

"Which movie is that?"

"The greatest movie of all, and no, I'm not giving you the title unless we watch it."

~~~

I hate this dude. He didn't like my favorite movie. How could he? It's a masterpiece! The storyline, the acting, the costumes and everything! This guy has no taste.

"I still don't get what you like about this," Brandon said, eating more popcorn while still watching the movie.

"You won't get it. You have no taste in stories." I said and continued to watch the last scene of the movie. I demanded "Give me the popcorn."

"There's none left."

I gave him a glare.

"I'll go make more. I didn't want to finish watching anyway." He got up and went to make more popcorn.

I returned my attention to the TV until I noticed Brandon's phone lying on the couch beside me. The screen lit up with a text.

I thought before I leaned to see the text. It was from Garmadon. He said he has some information about-

"What are you doing?" Brandon grabbed his phone and looked at the screen.

"I didn't mean to pry-"

"Then don't even get close to my phone!" he read the text then walked to the door immediately. "Your popcorn is in the microwave. I have to go."

"Brandon, I'm sorry!"

He slammed the door shut. Then I heard the microwave, the popcorn was done.

What was that about? We were just chilling and watching a movie then all of the sudden he became so serious.

Did I do something wrong? Was I not meant to read the text? Stupid Y/n, you're always so nosy. Now look at what you did. But it wasn't all my fault, he was overreacting over a stupid text.

Why am I even overthinking this? I need some popcorn!

I got my popcorn and started watching something else on TV. But I couldn't really focus on what was going on. All of my thoughts were about that text Brandon got from Garmadon and why it was so important that Brandon got mad at me and left immediately.

~~~

The place was full of teens drinking, dancing and talking. Some of them were even making out, disgusting.

That's right, I went to Chen's party. And it may have been the worst decision I've made so far.

"You want a drink?" a jock asked me, holding a full cup.

"Is this alcohol?" I asked, taking the cup and staring at it.

"Yeah, what did you expect? Pumpkin juice?"

"Isn't this illegal though?" He laughed at my question. "What?" I asked "Underage drinking is illegal."

"Who cares? It's just one time. No one will know," he added with a warning tone "Unless someone snitches." He was talking about me for sure "And if they did, they wouldn't get out of that easily if we knew who they are."

I put the cup back on the table. "Thanks for the information," I said and walked away from the table and looked around. I regret coming here already.

"Y/n!" I turned around. Maggie put her around my shoulders "What's up, girl? Haven't seen you in a while."

"I was busy." I slowly moved her arm away from me.

"Well, hello there," Chen came up to me "Glad you made to the party." He asked "So how is it? Are you having fun?"

"Do you parents know about this?" I asked. I saw no car in the garage when I first came.

"Nah, they're on a trip. They'll be back in the morning."

"And you brought alcohol to a party full of underaged kids?"

"I didn't bring alcohol, Max did." He waved to the guy at the drinks' table. "Also, stop worrying and relax. It's a party, and you should have fun."

"Getting arrested is not fun."

He sighed then asked everybody "So, does anyone want to play truth or dare?"

Too cliché.

A bunch of kids yelled their agreement and they all rushed to where the game was held. Bumping into my injured arm on their way.

"Hey! Watch where you're going!" I yelled.

I felt left out, I didn't belong here. This was all a weird experience for me. I've never been to this sort of party before, and I didn't find any joy in seeing anything here.

I kind of wished Lloyd was here, we'd at least be awkward together. But he was not invited, nor were his friends.

I glanced back at the students playing then turned my back and walked out of the house.