24. Aurora

Trigger warning: Mention of accident, blood and death 

If the administration of IST was hoping for things to calm down over the course of the next few days, then they were in for a rude awakening. What Reeja's own statement couldn't do alone, with the help of most of the dramatics club, was done like a piece of cake. Whatever happened was at the tip of the tongue of everyone in the premises of the university. Students were actually curious to find out what would happen now. Some were sorry that Reeja had to go through something so traumatizing, while others were angry at the university authorities that such an incident happened on university grounds. Parents were also getting to know about it and overall instead of getting control over the situation, it was getting out of hand for the dean committee.

But the most perturbed was the family of Furqaan Akmal. He had his own uncle's team staging a whole setup against him and that didn't sit well with him. There was a huge family showdown and now they were all thinking of coming up with a solution to this messy situation. Doing harm to Reeja and her family wasn't an option because that would definitely make their position questionable as everyone's first suspect would be them only.

Getting the public opinion to their side was looking next to impossible at the moment because Furqaan's rage and temper wasn't news to anyone and many people were coming to the conclusion that he was, indeed, capable of pulling something like this just to satisfy his ego toxic masculinity. This was making him angrier than ever. And he was a mess when he was angry.

He was told by both his parents and other family members time and again to keep his temper in check or to forget university till things cool down a bit. But it was a cowardly way out and Furqaan in his own perspective was anything but a coward.

So he attended every single class, never missed any day and saw the support for him just because Reeja's character looked questionable to people, dwindling every passing second. He was at the ends of his wits and he wasn't never the one to use them when he was needed to.

So that's what he did. Didn't listen to the small voice at the back of his head which was telling him to abort the mission. It happened in the Architecture department. Two female students were going in full support for Reeja and calling out Furqaan's entitlement and family influence. Furqaan got angry and didn't even realize that he was standing in front of the office of Mrs. Tahira Nawaz, the Director General of the said department. The two girls barely escaped from his violence thanks to the intervention from the people around and their own quick senses. When Furqaan pulled back it was too late.

Mrs. Tahira was right outside of her office and had apparently witnessed the whole thing unfolding.

And that's where Furqaan knew he was done for.

_____

Reeja had gotten so many text messages during her lecture that it was getting difficult to concentrate. She pocketed her phone and nodding in the professor's direction came out of the lecture hall. She turned the corner and found a secluded space behind the notice board. The red bricks of the walls weren't doing much to obscure her clad in complete black form, but the hallway was mostly empty. She sat down and unlocked her phone.

With each text message she was reading her eyes were narrowing some more. She had gotten Whatsapp videos too from the people who had recorded the incident. Friends, acquaintances, class fellows and just no ones. She was getting messages of a different range of rage and elation from everyone. But one thing was common.

Furqaan had lost his case completely.

And Reeja felt so empty after knowing that he was finally going to get what he deserved. There were no feelings inside of her whatsoever. She sighed deeply and got up. She slung her bag over her shoulder when a looming shadow made her stop in her tracks. She immediately turned around.