45. Changes and Constants

When Sarim came back from the parking lot, he found Izaan and Hesham sitting there silently. He took his seat and folding his hands behind his head closed his eyes.

"That's some fictional shit that happened to you."

Hesham was still amazed at the turn of events. When he did a check on Ruman and found out he was married, not to Elaf and that Elaf had left Durranis years back, he didn't know what to make of it. He just knew that his best friend was one lucky asshole. He was unsure of Sarim's next move but boy he was in for a surprise.

"You didn't mention that you already knew where she was, which was right under your nose, might I add."

Sarim grinned. The contentment behind it wasn't hidden from Izaan and Hesham. Izaan moved forward resting his face on his fists.

"She's changed."

Sarim nodded.

"Oh, she has. If someone who was just familiar with her from back in time saw her today, they wouldn't recognize her immediately."

"But her spirit is the same. She hasn't lost the spark in her."

"Not entirely. "

Izaan's focus was now on his empty mug. He was in deep thoughts. There had been countless times for the three best friends to enjoy deep talks and comfortable silence. That was what always glued them together. They didn't need words most of the time to understand each other.

"We all have gone through life changing experiences in these six years. Looking back, it feels so natural but at the same time so overwhelming. The people we were. The people that we are now. Some of us had it harder than the rest but nonetheless it was pretty huge for us all."

They couldn't deny how right he was. Among them all, Izaan was the one who often resorted to letting his silence speak for him. His words were always calculated and it was rare that he expressed something so openly. But they knew where he was coming from. Today, sitting on their old table, all five of them, with all the signs of the changes they had seen and gone through, it was hard not to think on these lines.

"But now we all are together, not lost in the haze like we were a few months back. That got to mean something."

Hesham, always the light in the dark tunnel.

"That's probably why it seems worth it. Whatever it was."

Hesham patted his arm and then raised an eyebrow at Sarim.

"So what now? Should we start preparing for the wedding?"

Sarim laughed, shaking his head. Always way ahead. Hesham Baig and his ways.

"That's too early. Also, it's not the time for it."

"Timing has always been the problem, Sarim."

Sarim smiled. He was aware. He was so aware of this. Delays, bad timing, and nothing coinciding for them to make it work.

"I know but it's time for Elaf to find herself. What she's lost and what she can build from the pieces."

"And you're going to help her with that?"

Izaan asked.

"Not exactly. You see, she doesn't need much help. Just a bit of coaxing and there she is."

Seemed like both of them were expecting this answer only. They gave him encouraging nods. Hesham sighed and then laughed.

"You two are really out there trying to get your name in some hopeless lovers hall of fame."