17. Serendipity

Zipping her duffel bag Elaf stood next to her bed pushing her hands in the pockets of her hoodie. December was here with its stereotypical cold mornings, chilly noon and wintry nights. But here in Pakistan the definition of December doesn't match with the rest of the world. December means the season of weddings.

Yeah, weddings.

Elaf laughed to herself because this was pretty comical to her. Her parents didn't have a large friend circle so she didn't have wedding ceremonies invitations flowing during the season. The only ones would come from her Dad's side of the family but this year they were also calm with nothing on the cards.

But the same wasn't true for her. She had gotten an invitation and she was going to attend it anyway.

Sarim Haider's sister was getting married and he had invited his whole squad to it so how it was possible that Elaf would be left out? Not likely. The only problem was getting her parents' permission and for that Safwa was the best option. With passing time, Elaf and Safwa had come closer than ever as the besties they were and now both Elaf's parents and Bisma knew about it, so Safwa being the ever resourceful person took full responsibility and Bisma's talk with Yusra proved to be the final push. Elaf was granted the permission to attend the ceremony and now she was preparing for it.

Her idea of attending weddings was still the same, eating and lots of eating and some more eating. But this time she was actually excited for the wedding itself. Maybe, because she was going to see Sarim Haider in his domain where he wasn't just her friend or the topper of her class. So, for the first time in her life, Elaf Daud was looking forward to a wedding all thanks to Sarim Haider.

"Elaf? Are you done?"

Yusra's voice brought her back from her musings. She glanced at her bag and being satisfied came out of the room with it. Daud was pacing the space close to the main door of the house, his old habit whenever he was waiting for her and Yusra so they'd leave for somewhere.

Leave. Ah the joy!

Elaf hid her annoyance at the prospect of visiting Durrani house. The plan was made almost a week back that on Saturday, Daud would drop Elaf at Kirmani house and from there on it would be Bisma's responsibility but the sudden call from Durrani House had changed the plan. Sabeera had given birth to a baby boy and Mrs. Bilqees Durrani aka Dado being the bossy woman that she was had asked Daud to come as soon as he could as this was the first baby in their new generation. Typical extended family things. Daud could never say no to his mother so now first they were all going to Durrani House and after getting done from there, Daud would drop Elaf at the Kirmani's.

"Your stuff is ready?"

He asked seeing Elaf making her way towards him. She shrugged and handed him her duffel. Nodding his head, he opened the door and both came out of the house. He was putting her bag inside the trunk with a smile. Elaf was looking at him with a thoughtful expression on her face.

"You really like visiting Durrani house don't you, Baba?"

He didn't look up, just kept on doing what he was doing.

"I do, actually. My mother lives there so it's natural that I feel inclined towards there."

He turned to her once he was done with his task and her narrowed eyes made him smile wholeheartedly.