39. Far from the shore

Sarim was almost done with his packing. It also provided him with the opportunity to sort out the mess in his room. He never knew he piled up so much study material over the years but that was an indication that he had been a good student.

While emptying his old bag, he found a crumpled up piece of paper. Even before opening it, he knew what it was. His reaction was a smile. He had been doing this a lot while cleaning his room. The memories attached to the four years of his university life were too precious.

He opened the paper. A very familiar scribble.

"20-11-2014, When you finally admitted that I can outwit you anytime I want to. Had to keep it in writing because with your large head full of straw, things tend to get a bit jumbled up."

The note had been a fond memory. But Sarim never thought of keeping it close. That time it was bizarre, seeing the person it was from was always around. But now that she wasn't, he was going to keep this note very close.

He had pushed it into the side pocket of his bag when there was a knock at his door. He frowned. Irma wasn't supposed to walk upstairs and she couldn't as well. Farwa had a habit of calling him from outside to announce her arrival. Knocking had never been a norm regarding his room.

Maybe Hesham or Izaan? But they weren't supposed to come because they knew he was busy.

He shrugged his shoulders and walking towards the door opened it. The face of Nauman Haider aka his father wasn't something Sarim had been expecting to see.

Nauman looked at him and then at packed suitcases behind him. The room was almost devoid of its touch of Sarim Haider. Not that Nauman would know that, Sarim couldn't remember the last time his father had visited his room. Had he ever? Sarim wasn't sure.

"Seems like you've completed the packing."

Nauman commented entering inside. Sarim nodded.

"Almost there."

Nauman gave a cursory look to the almost bland room and Sarim wished, just for a second, that his father would've come here when everything wasn't packed or thrown away. When this room had Sarim in every nook of it.

"I have transferred some money into your account."

Sarim was about to argue. He had taken care of this already. He was going there on a contract with his company and they were handling all these matters. He just had to find an accommodation. It wasn't an easy task but he was done with it as well. Yes, the USA was expensive but there were also places and arrangements to make it still affordable. He had talked around with people and the knowledge had put him in a better state of finding an arrangement he could afford.

"Don't worry, it's not too much. Just enough to keep you going. Don't use it if you don't want to but keep it for the days when you are going to struggle, which is a given with moving."

Sarim didn't like the idea but could see where his father was coming from. It was the truth. Moving to a new country was always a scary thought and money is never enough in doing so.

The silence prevailed between them. This was the extent of the topics they could talk on, it was still better than arguing though. They were doing that way less than before. Maybe it was the way Nauman dealt with the chaos in Irma's life but Sarim wasn't bellowing at the man anymore. In fact it had been a long time since both father and son had had a full fledged showdown which was a routine a few months back.

"I was already going to come to you. I wanted to talk about something."

He had Nauman's whole attention and that was a first as well.