31. Souvenir

Irma held the sleeves of her shirt, bunching them into her fists. The cup of tea was getting cold in front of her but she hadn't taken a sip.

"I can't thank you enough for making this possible. "

The voice of her mother in law, which Irma was trying to tune out, reverberated in the space of the drawing room. There was an awkward silence which was occasionally being broken by the woman's constant talks only. Both Farwa and Irma were silent. Sarim hadn't chosen to stay with them. He was in the lounge and he wasn't happy with this development, or lack thereof. He didn't see the point but Irma wanted to do this so, trusting her he hadn't shown that much disapproval, albeit begrudgingly.

"It's good that Irma hasn't yet filed for the Khula. It's necessary that both her and Mohid talk before that. Working things out and patching up."

Irma gave her a cursory look. She hadn't branded her mother in law as a cruel person because in her almost a year long marriage, the woman had never shown much tendency to be vile. She was often lost in her own world. But right now, listening to her rambling on about the potential patch up she'd conjured in her mind because Irma had agreed to talk to Mohid, Irma could say she was cruel. Sometimes mere ignorance is the biggest cruelty you can show. The fading bruises on her body stung more than they had all week. She still had the physical signs of what had gone wrong between her and Mohid, the emotional baggage was something she'd need years to push to the back of her mind and here she had her very optimistic mother in law raving on about how things were going to get settled down very soon.

Surely, the one who's subjected to something knows what it truly means to live through it. Rest of the world couldn't care less.

"You should call Mohid here. Irma won't be leaving her house under any circumstances. We don't trust anyone on this. So, don't even insist on taking her with you to meet Mohid."

Farwa had seen Mrs. Sajjad's next request, or suggestion coming and she had already declined it much to the woman's annoyance. What did she think? Just because Irma wanted to have a word with Mohid, things would get back to normal in the blink of an eye? Farwa frowned at her frustrated expressions. Surely, she wasn't thinking like a woman or as someone who had her own daughters too. She was right now just the mother of a son who had ruined everything in his life with his own hands.

"That's not fair. You know Irma is safe with us."

"She endured six months of abuse on the hands of her husband in her own house. That's rich coming from you, auntie."

Sarim stood in the door with his hand folded on his chest. He was giving Mrs. Sajjad a narrowed look, as if to try him and the woman wasn't fool enough to do that, launching into a debate with him. She nodded defeatedly.

"Well, I'll send Mohid in the evening. "

She proceeded to get up and take her belongings. Sarim's presence had tensed the environment some more and she no longer wished to stay here anymore. She was taking her leave from Farwa and then came to Irma hugging her lightly. Irma didn't show any reaction, there was nothing warm about this embrace anyway.

"I just hope that after talking to him you'll make a wise decision, Irma. It's not just about you and Mohid, It's about your unborn child as well. Think about all that will follow if you go with the Khula. A family once broken can't be put together again."

She patted Irma's head and as she walked out of there, Irma kept on looking at her retreating back.

A family once broken can't be put together again.

But wasn't the same true for a life as well? A person's spirit, hopes, dreams. Once broken can't be put together again.

Sarim held her from her shoulder and she immediately looked up. He gave her a reassuring smile.