18. Dive

Hejab Alvi was described by her friends and family as a really easygoing person, the one who's somehow on good terms with everyone. She never really lost her temper easily, it wasn't in her nature. She was more inclined towards ignoring a problem until the rage of the other person simmers down and a rational talk can be done over the issue.

That's what she was trying to do right now by not going upstairs towards her room. Reason was her very frustrated younger sister who was everything opposite of what Hejab was. Zonish had a temper and she often let it have the reins of her actions. She had absolutely no filter when she was going through it and right now, Hejab was sure Zoni was definitely, certainly, without any doubt going through it.

It wasn't Hejab's plan to fall in love like this. But life works in unexpected ways. Daniyal was Saima auntie's nephew, her sister's son to be precise. Hejab could count on her fingers the number of the times she and Zonish had met Saima's family. It was all the same, the exchange of pleasantries, being on their best behavior (That was obviously for Zonish) and then seeing them off with smiles on their faces. Hejab couldn't remember when it shifted though, the whole aura of those visits, but she was sure that a person named Daniyal Idrees was becoming special for her, a kind of happy place. She had figured out her feeling pretty easily and those weren't one sided as well. The only problem was, she hadn't told anyone from her family about this development and now was the time to face the music, or in this case, Zonish's bellowing.

But for how long could she ignore it? Coming back from the wedding, Zonish had straight gone to her room. Hejab was collecting her thoughts or maybe her strength as well to face Zoni. This was the first time she had hidden such a massive detail from her. Saima auntie had also returned from her gathering and was asking them how the ceremony had gone. Hejab answered her absentmindedly. No one noticed Zonish's absence. It was normal for her to not sit around with the family anyways. Now that both Saima auntie and Baba had retired to their room and Taimoor had completely engrossed into his phone, there was no point in sitting here anymore. She sighed and got up finally.

Instead of going to her room which was the first to the side, she instead walked towards the far corner of the hallway. The door was ajar, the lights were on and it was clear Zonish hadn't slept yet. It was better to get done with it.

When Hejab pushed opened the door after knocking lightly, she found Zonish sitting on the couch with her eyebrows scrunched as if in deep thoughts. She looked up at Hejab who smiled in resignation.

"I was hoping you'd be busy with your nighttime reading."

She didn't say anything return, just folded her arms on her chest. Hejab smiled. Typical Zonish.

"It's Daniyal."

She whispered. Saima auntie had a lot of nephews so she had to help Zonish here to narrow it down.

"I kinda figured that out on my own."

"How?"

Zonish gave her a sharp look."

"I just thought back to all the times they visited us and somehow that made sense. A lot of sense."

"Oh..."

A good journalist in making.

"Is he aware?"