15. Not So Normal

Monday mornings are the embodiment of normal. Everything is going as it is supposed to, nothing out of place, nothing where it's not supposed to be. It was a Monday morning just like that. Well, almost like that.

Bisma took another sip of her juice and looked up from the file she was reading. Safwa was seated directly across her as per the norm and was slowly munching on her toast. Her notes were opened in front of her and she was immersed by the looks of it. Bisma smiled. This was familiar. Bisma being busy in her office work before actually getting there and Safwa being serious about her university stuff because her finals were near now. Bisma liked this lot. Cherished it, to say the least. Normal was the best. Normal should always be the way to go.

"Focus on the breakfast, Safi."

Safwa didn't look up from the pages she was totally immersed in.

"You should do the same, Phupho."

"Oh come on, it's not like your exams are starting from today."

"There's not much time left either."

"But that doesn't mean you can't even have your breakfast properly."

"Okay, I get back to my toast and you also keep this juice aside and eat something for the starters. Fair enough."

Bisma sighed but nonetheless, finished the remaining juice and took a bite of her toast. Nusrat Aapa was looking between the aunt and niece duo. There was nothing she could pinpoint. Nothing that could indicate anything about the conversation Safwa had with her almost a week back. The topic had been closed. After Safwa and Bisma's talk over it everything had gotten back to as it was. Bisma had put a full stop to it from her side and Safwa respected that. She hadn't tried prodding the subject again but Nusrat could see she wanted to. But her wanting to do anything had nothing to do here. It was about Bisma and her choice and if she didn't want to do anything about it then no one could do anything.

"I have an early meeting so will have to tag along with you today."

Bisma announced collecting her things once the breakfast was over. Safwa grinned also getting up.

"Guess I'm not the only one who's rushing through everything just to get there at 8 AM sharp."

Safwa and her forever abhorrence for early morning lecture, it was never going to change.

"Yes, seems like it."

Both of them were now walking towards the main door of the house. Small talk was still going on. The important meeting Bisma had in half an hour was on her mind. The quiz with a weightage of half the marks of assignment which was scheduled today was on Safwa's mind. Both had their own set of worries to think about and both were doing just that.

Life was normal. Just like Bisma liked. She concluded when she dropped Safwa off at the main gate of IST. That's how she liked it no matter how tiring it was, Bisma told herself as she stopped in front of her office building. This was her life and it was all worth it. She couldn't stop smiling as she came out of the conference hall after a successful negotiation with the other company delegate.

Sitting on her chair she leaned against it and closed her eyes.

Normal. Ordinary. Just the way she liked. Just the way she preferred.