Bonus # 2: Then and Now

Somewhere in 2012

Baig House

The lawn chairs were occupied that particular spring evening. The mild air of Karachi was in between humid and dry, a combination which is perfect to lounge outdoors and have conversations that just flow without much logical basis behind them. Something of that sort was going on there. The laughs of the three best friends were telling of it.

Hesham was doubling over with laughter, Sarim was shaking his head but he was equally amused, and Izaan had a grin set on his face. Hesham had just narrated another hilarious happening of his class, his added details were making the whole thing funnier than it already was.

"Long story short, love is brutal."

He commented, his laugh was just a stretch of his lips now. He had sobered up and was now focusing on the packet of crisps in his hand. Sarim made himself some more comfortable in his seat and nodded.

"But the way your classmates go about it, it looks brutally comical."

"They are a bunch of dumbasses and our laughter stock anyway."

Izaan took his phone from the table to check the time, which earned him a scowl from Hesham. Izaan Shoaib and the never ending curfew he had to follow, not imposed by his family, but by his studies. He had to reach home before his night reading hours rolled in. This was a habit both of his best friends were aware of and had never objected to. They just demanded him to not think about his medical books when he was with them. He tried his best not to. He was successful for the most part.

"It's easy to laugh at others' failure at the tries and cries of romance. I wonder what we will do when it happens to us."

Trust Hesham to always bring up something thought provoking after he had given them the right quota to laugh on. Sarim looked at him with a thoughtful expression on his face while Izaan shrugged.

"You tell us. Let's get your views on it first."

Hesham was thinking. He never had to do that when it came to the notion of having someone in his life. These days he was seriously considering asking Safwa out because his notion of love was easy. Something not very complicated and with someone he was comfortable with. Safwa was his childhood friend and both knew each other like the back of their hands.

"I think I can't do complicated. That's not for me."

"Emotions are supposed to be complicated."

Izaan put in.

"Easy is good but when you are in deep, things can't always go according to a plan or on a set trajectory. Bumps and twists are bound to be there so even though you'd like it this way, it can't always be easy and familiar."

Always the one with sense.

"What about you?"

Hesham asked. No one could say that just a few minutes back the three of them were laughing about something bizarre which wasn't that funny as well but they didn't need to see the reason why they couldn't laugh at it.

"I'm not opposed to the idea but it's not something I'm looking forward to either."

"Why not?"