33. Echo

The thing about living in a metropolis is, it never sleeps. It never stops and it certainly never cares. You might be losing your mind but the hustle around you will keep on going. That's the thing about big cities with jammed packed traffic and people running everywhere. You are often on your own. You can find someone who walks on the same wavelength as you, but at the end of the day you are on your own.

Sarim stopped his car in the designated parking area of the Cardiology and came out of it. His hands were fumbling with his phone. This was his first time being in a hospital lobby at this hour and he realized that even though life never stops but here it had slowed down. Such a contrast from the chaos on the roads.

His first instinct was going towards the ER. He was half way down there when he saw Izaan and his pace quickened.

"Hey."

Izaan looked behind where Izaan could see Safwa sitting with a woman. Probably Elaf's mother. She was running a soothing hand down her arm.

"How's he?"

Sarim asked, stopping just a few steps away from Izaan. Safwa and Yusra hadn't yet seen him and the one his eyes were searching for was nowhere to be found.

"Still inside. They were running all the tests. The damage was prevented because he was taken here on time. But still he's not out of danger."

Izaan's voice was not as grave so Sarim hoped things weren't as bleak as well. Safwa had seen him by now. She gave him a nod and he came towards them. His greeting was reciprocated lightly by Yusra who was now looking at him. There was a hint of recognition there.

"Sarim."

Safwa called him and when he turned to her she gestured towards the adjacent hallway. Sarim didn't have to be told twice. He knew what she was saying without saying anything.

He rounded the corner. The ER wasn't as crowded as it would be in the day. The next hallway was mostly deserted with only a few staff people walking around on duty.

She was standing close to a bench with her hands clasped together as if she was in pain. Her face was devoid of any expressions and her demeanor was on fight. As if she was bracing herself from everything adverse.

"Elaf."

Sarim was just a foot away from here when he called her. She flinched but immediately looked his way. He had extended his arm for her to hold onto him. A tear rolled down her cheek. Her shoulders slumped and the next thing Sarim knew, she had flung herself in his arms.

Sarim wasn't prepared for it but he welcomed it like it was part of the norm. She fitted right into him. Clutching his shoulders, she placed her head in the crook of his neck. The dampness of her cheeks and the shaking of her form was both making its presence known. Sarim ran his hand through her hair.

"It's okay. He's going to be alright in no time."

His soothing words were a mere whisper in her ear. She had been told the same by everyone but this was the first time she found it actually making sense to her.

"I'm so scared."

A broken cry. Mumbled by her own breath and the fabric of his shirt. His hands rested on her back.

"And I'm right here."

Elaf raised her head and looked at him. His gaze was serious and telling of so much. Things which made sense and also things which didn't quite. She nodded and left his side. Sarim felt a pang of cold where she's just left from even though the weather was far from it.

"You should be with your mother, Elaf. She needs you."

"I know I was just...I don't know I just wanted to run and hide somewhere. I didn't have it in me to say anything to Mama."