19. Horizon

Parking the car to the side, Zonish looked ahead at her sister. Hejab was walking slowly towards the secluded area of the private beach, away from the few people loitering around. Her eyes were focused on a raised rocky berth and soon she had sat down there. They had driven straight to this site from Hejab's campus. Zonish was determined to talk things out somehow. The conversation with Hesham proved to be a kind of stimulus as well but she was tired of being like this with Hejab. They needed to sort out everything. It had been three days already. That was the limit.

Zonish knew this was the opening she was looking for. Hejab had finally put an end to her silent treatment very silently. Zonish took determined steps to reach her. She wasn't letting this opportunity go in vain.

But words were eluding her even though they had been sitting facing the sea for quite some time now. This is why she hated messing up because apologizing wasn't an easy thing to do. You'd be so sorry in your heart but when it came to wording it out, suddenly you didn't even know how to speak.

"I know you're ashamed of your outburst the other day. Stop fidgeting."

The words made her take a deep sigh. The understanding between the two of them was one of Zonish's most prized possessions. She would never want to lose it and that fear had made her utter some hurtful gibberish that day. It wasn't justified but she knew she didn't mean it. She couldn't brush the thought that somewhere, down the line Hejab would leave her or they'd lose what they share.

"I'm....sorry. I went overboard."

Words. Heavier than rocks they were sitting on but once uttered lighter than the air they were breathing. Hejab looked sideways at her. She knew it must be hard for Zonish to finally say it. But this wasn't about her feeling this way. It really wasn't.

"I'm not mad at you."

"You've been ignoring me for three days, Hejab."

"If you have noticed I haven't been talking to anyone much lately."

"I don't care about anyone else."

The bratty kid in her would often make her presence known. This was one of those moments.

"I'm mostly worried."

"About our family not agreeing to you and Daniyal? Well, I might be opposed to the idea of you and him but now that I'm pretty sure you're head over heels for the guy so I think I'd back you up. You really want this and that's what really matters I guess."

Hejab shook her head with a slight smile. The setting sun was casting an orange halo around everything. It was bright and dull both at the same time. The silhouettes were telling a story of their own.

"I'm worried about you, Zoni."

Zonish was taken aback.

"Me? You're worried about me?"

"Yes."

"You were ignoring me because you're worried about me? Make it make sense!"

"I was thinking."

"I'd love to know your precious thoughts then."

"You need to let go of your preconceived notions about everything in life. It's hindering your growth as a person. And most importantly, it's containing you from living your life to the fullest."

Zonish didn't have to ask twice what she meant by this. But her silence was the answer Hejab was looking for.

"It wasn't mainly about me. It wasn't about Hesham. It was and will always be about Saima Auntie. Am I right?"