11. Not Quite A Heartbreak

Sometimes in life our perspective about thing changes so profoundly that we are left wondering why we didn't see it like that before. It's almost like standing on the roof of your neighbor's house across the street and looking at your own. It is your house but somehow everything about it seems new.

Right now, standing amidst the crowd, looking at the people in front of him, Hesham Baig felt like that only.

Safwa and Izaan.

So right.

Something which was so hidden yet it was shinning through all the crevices of the picture they were forming. And after seeing it Hesham couldn't unsee.

The concert had ended after some time. They all had started walking towards the parking lot. There was laughter reverberating around, echoes of cheery conversations, humming of the songs people had just swooned to. The ambiance was buzzing with youthful vigor more than ever. The sparkle in eyes writing the stories of ease and no worry of the future looming just over their heads.

"There's goes Elaf."

Safwa commented leaning against Hesham's car. Sarim was already sitting on the bonnet while Hesham stood next to Safwa. They had just seen Elaf off. Her father had come to pick her and the way she was continuously talking to him animatedly told them all a lot about the bonding between the two.

"Has Izaan also left?"

Safwa asked looking around.

"Yes. He was already late. Had to start with the preparations of a test."

Sarim filled her in. Safwa nodded but the slight hint of disappointment in her expressions wasn't hidden from Hesham.

"He's really busy these days. The part time job is adding to his already tight schedule but he had no other choice. Didn't accept mine or Hesham's money because Izaan Shoaib won't ever take the easy route, that ass."

Sarim was rambling about Izaan's refusal of their help but Hesham couldn't add anything to it. He was just looking at Safwa. Curiosity, concern, care. She had such an expressive face or Hesham was reading these emotions for the first time, he couldn't decide.

"Why aren't you two leaving, by the way?"

Sarim asked pointing between the two of them.

"Phupho is coming to get me. She was busy in a meeting over the dinner and has just gotten free."

Hesham nodded along absentmindedly.

"Then I also should be on my way. Ammi must be waiting for me at the dinner."

Sarim had left the car bonnet and was now searching for his own keys in his pockets. Safwa was shaking her head at his lazy gesture but the horn of the car stopping nearby had her turn to it immediately.

"Phupho is here."

She announced and giving Sarim a fist pump picked her bag from the side. Smiling in Hesham's way she had started walking towards her vehicle when she turned around abruptly.

"Hesham?"

"Hun?"

He looked at her.