16. Ashore

No matter how much of a workaholic you're, the summons of another day at work ending is always going to sound like music to the ears. Same was true for Bisma Kirmani. She'd just wrapped the paperwork for an important deal and that felt like climbing a mountain. Well, when you're a woman running an empire all by yourself that too in mainstream male dominant business market everyday feels like climbing a mountain but she was used to it now. It had been years she was doing this and acing at it as well. She was often told she was made for this only and she accepted that compliment with a smile. Her brother would've been so proud of how far she'd come with this company. She was sure of it.

The long day had finally reached it's culminating point and so far nothing out of ordinary had come out of it.

Except for a call.

She checked her phone and surely, Atif's name was there in her call log, the call she hadn't received no matter how much she tried telling herself it was okay. He used to call her every now and then anyway. Though their talks were always related to some mutual acquaintance, their kids who were best of best friends, or just some random suggestions about minute things. The effort had always been made on Atif's part. Bisma had just never declined his calls.

Except for today.

She didn't know how to name it but there was this feeling inside of her which was telling her to be cautious. It was raising its head since the time she'd opened up to Safwa about her and Atif's past. So her not answering Atif's call today was also due to the same feeling.

But for how long?

She was in the process of grabbing her things and get out of her cabin when she was informed of the arrival she wasn't expecting, not today for that matter.

She had sat down in her chair again. Her hands were fumbling with the file in front of her. Her in control demeanor had crumbled just a bit but she got over it instantly. And soon there was a knock at her cabin door.

"Come in."

She called and looked straight ahead. Atif had entered inside with a smile on his face, the same which was a part of his personality. No one could say he was a famous lawyer fighting high profile cases of his high profile clients. His easygoing persona never gave it off.

"You were about to leave weren't you?"

He asked after the preliminary greetings.

"Yes, but it's no problem. So, what brought you here?"

"Your ignoring my calls."

Straight on the head. Hesham had really inherited his upfront nature from his father.

Bisma's gaze also didn't falter. She sighed and leaned into her chair.

"You know why I did that."

"You also know why I'm here then."

"You're not about to make it awkward!"

"I don't plan on doing it. I just wanted to talk."

Bisma nodded giving him the cue to continue.

"I guess we have some unfinished business to take care of."