50B. Love Ashore[Last]

When Hesham had put the couch in his living room, he had no clue that it would one day be used as his and Zonish's safe cocoon. He couldn't count on his fingers how many heart to hearts they have had lying there, snuggling into each other. Telling their deepest secrets, rawest emotions, sometimes talking, sometimes letting the silent speak, sometimes just lingering innocent touches and sometimes hungry kisses so fervent, that they forgot to even breathe.

It was one such evening, both of them were lazing around on the same couch and the topic today was childhood embarrassments.

"Hejab was such a snitch though. Always telling Baba that I was bunking classes and one day I got so angry when Baba called me into his study. She was there too and I called her a bitch right in front of him. He was already pissed and then he shouted! Manners! I just gave my sickly sweet smile to Hejab and asked her what was the problem with my Bitch Aapi. I was grounded for a week after that."

Zonish couldn't help laughing at the memory. She was lying hugging Hesham and it seemed like he was equally enjoying the hilarity of it.

"You were a menace to society."

"As if you were any less. Don't make me remind you of that one time when you got into a brawl with a guy over food and Izaan had to patch you up so that Atif uncle won't find out."

"I told you that in confidence, Zoni, not for you to manipulate me with it."

"Whatever. I can't forget how you were looking so smug that it was the exact moment you thought was Izaan's career line awakening. That he had to be a doctor."

"It was!"

She couldn't stop the giggles that left her mouth and Hesham, even though was now used to her laughter, still felt his heart softening at the sound of it. Of how carefree she was about it now. How she was so herself when they were in this safe haven of theirs.

"I love it when you laugh so freely."

Words got out of Hesham's mouth on their own. Zonish was silent for a moment and then she raised her head so that she was looking straight into his eyes.

"You love me more."

"Damn straight."

The surety with which he said that was what Zonish loved about him. But she loved him more.

"Can say the same for you."

"Then say!"

He was being demanding and Zonish couldn't stop the smile on her face.

"Yeah, okay. I love you."

"It's no biggie, Zoni. I would be in love with me too if I were you."

"And I take my words back."

Their usual banter was back and as they got on with it, Hesham realized that Zonish's hand was in his. He looked at the intertwined fingers and then at the woman in his arms.

Everything fitted just so right.

_______

The usual clutter at the coffee house was becoming a norm for Safwa. Something she enjoyed a lot. The heavenly aroma of baked goods, the calming warmth of the coffee and the old music playing in the background, especially of Strings.

It was her scene and Kepoch was her in every way possible.

But more than anything, these days, what she loved the most about this cozy setting was the occupied table to the side, close to the window.