49. Fall into place

Maryam placed the piping hot cups of tea on the table and sat across Memoona. The clutter brought Memoona back from her thoughts. Her smile was brighter as compared to other days, as Maryam was used to since she had started visiting everyday after Ibsam and Shoaib had settled their feud.

"Everything's okay, Auntie?"

Maryam's question wasn't answered but the smile remained intact on Memoona's face. She took a sip of the tea and relished the taste.

"You've surely mastered the art of tea making."

Her praise hit Maryam right in the heart. It was just a meager everyday task, one which was often neglected but she had seen this in Memoona, the tendency of letting someone know how their efforts were working even though they weren't that monumental.

Maryam had always found this family fascinating even when the main purpose of hers to know about them was mainly to get Ibsam back to his roots before the guilt consumed him. But in doing so, she found herself drawn towards the wholesome bonding these people share and particularly the kind woman Memoona was.

Maryam had lived a life with a mother and her father used to rate his own children on the basis of how well they were doing for his name. He loved her but his love came with terms and conditions. It gave her the idea that maybe parental love in its crux was just like this? Dotting the fittest and ignoring those lesser than that.

But it was Memoona who changed her notion in regards to this. She loved all her kids differently, but on the basis how they deserved this love but how they should be loved. Her care for Izaan was tender and always worrying. For Ibsam she was often a strict mother yet easy to mold seeing how he was so prone to misunderstandings. And playful with Ibtihaj because he was both her easygoing son and also her best friend she used to share all her worries with.

This was life changing for Maryam, this very knowledge, so much that she found herself slowly unlearning what she had seen all her life. And slowly she started yearning to be a part of this clan.

The love and affection she felt towards them only grew when Ibsam finally mustered up the courage to do something to make amends. He was still on that path. Trying to diminish the wedge between him and his family and since now his family wasn't putting up guards, he was slowly making progress.

But not as much as Maryam. She knew love was the only way here and she tried it with her full heart. The result was as expected. She was openly welcomed in the Ansari household and as their daughter in law.

"How did Hesham's wedding go?"

Memoona's smile deepened.

"It was a beautiful event. Cozy and with just family and friends around. Hesham and Zonish make such a beautiful couple. I will ask Ibtihaj to show you the pictures."

Maryam was very much interested in seeing those. She had heard a lot about Izaan's squad from both Memoona and Abba and she couldn't wait to see it for herself.

"Maryam."

Memoona shifted on her seat and her demeanor indicated she had something amusing to tell her. Maryam looked on curiously.

"I think that it's not far when I'll see my Izzu happy as well."

Maryam was pleasantly surprised.

A sad tinge to her otherwise bright expressions was always Memoona's reaction whenever Izaan was brought up in any conversation and Maryam was no fool, she knew what it was about.

The one thing she literally cursed Ibsam for, was being a key reason for Izaan and Safwa's breakup all those years back. She had seen how much the whole family was attached to the woman and initially it had made Maryam jealous.