32. Waves

Hanging out always meant meaningless jokes and snide remarks, uncontrolled laughter and not making any sense. This had always been the definition of the time when the three of them were together. They found something to smile about even when they didn't feel like it.

But it wasn't the case anymore.

Hesham rested his head on his arm and looked at his two best friends. Sarim was looking at the ceiling with nothing on his mind and and on his face while Izaan was playing with the edge of his phone deep in thoughts.

They were in Izaan's room. It was unplanned. But they didn't have to plan anything before as well. It was Sarim who came to spend some time and Hesham was immediately called as well.

He glanced between Izaan and Sarim then sighed.

"Hejab's getting married and I'm invited."

Sarim gave him a confused look. Izaan matched it as well. Hesham huffed.

"She's Zoni's sister."

Both of them looked like they finally understood who Hejab is.

"Good thing it's the sister."

There there. The clownery.

"Is there any ulterior motive behind telling us this precious information?"

Hesham shrugged his shoulders.

"I just wanted someone to freaking break the silence. The negative energy you two are exuding is palpable. It almost made me bald."

"We can go on just to see your shiner."

Hesham held his head as if he'd actually lose the jet black mess he called his hair.

"I'm also getting familiarized with how Ansar Minhaj functions. The oldie sure is something."

"Now, don't sound too invested. We already ship you and Zonish."

He huffed. The silence again prevailed in the room but now it had a comforting feel to it. That was Hesham Baig and his charm.

"I almost punched Mohid when he showed up in the court."

"You should've."

"I was going to but I wasn't sure if my father would bail me out."

"I can always bail you out."

Hesham promised.

"I can be there for moral support while he bails you out."

Izaan added.

"This is the kinda support which shoots up the crime rate."

"We were just being supportive. Don't go all logical on us. It makes me lose my appetite.."

"You still eat like a pig."

"Besides the point."

They again fell silent. It felt like the talks were coming in succession.

"How's Irma doing?"

Izaan's voice was tender. Even discussing her was something they were careful about. She was like a sister to both Hesham and Izaan. They had never felt what it was to have one so Irma was their first introduction to that.

"Better than I expected her to."

"She's stronger than whatever that scum made her go through."

"Fucker."

"She is. I'm in awe of how she got hold of herself. But it doesn't make me less angry. She doesn't have to be this strong."

"Your anger is justified but at least there's this hope that from here on things will only get better."