46. Traces

Safwa hadn't roamed the inside of the huge space of the hospital ever before so it took her some time to finally reach the surgery ward. She looked around at the ward and then saw the reception desk to the side. Two women in their white coats were milling around, talking and checking the sheet attached to the clipboard. Safwa reached the desk.

"Excuse me."

She called over to the woman behind the desk. The two doctors around looked at her with raised eyebrows. Safwa was used to those. She was an anomaly anyway. Everyone here was either an overworked staff member or a patient. No one expected a CEO dressed to host a business dinner any moment to be among them.

"Yes, Ma'am?"

The woman behind the counter was fully attentive towards her.

"Is Dr. Izaan Shoaib around?"

"Ma'am, right now he's busy."

Safwa nodded, already expecting this. He wasn't picking his phone.

The two women were not fully attuned to this conversation, much to Safwa's annoyance. She didn't like the way they were eyeing her. They could at least be a bit subtle about their curiosity.

"He's discussing a surgery with Dr. Taha and Dr. Amna."

One of them informed her.

"If you can wait."

The receptionist pointed towards the waiting area.

"If not then you can tell us and we will convey your message to Dr. Izaan. He's our PGR."

The Doctor offered. Safwa leaned against the reception with a smile on her face. It wasn't unkind but it wasn't warm either. It was a trademark professional Safwa Kirmani façade.

"I think if I came all the way here, I can wait a bit and talk to the man myself. Why should I give you the headache of it? I like taking care of my things on my own."

She gave a subtle nod to the clipboard in the woman's hand and that woman was no fool. She immediately understood Safwa was asking her to do the same. Take care of her stuff.

Their body language changed instantly and Safwa, nodding in their way, walked towards the waiting area and sat on one of the chairs. She took out her phone checking the emails and notifications.

It was almost after fifteen minutes when she heard people at the front desk. She looked up and found the senior doctors talking with their junior crew and staff, Izaan Shoaib standing to the side, reading a file while a Doctor waited patiently for him to give her directions.

Safwa didn't make a noise, didn't even let herself be noticed. She just sat there noticing every move of his with rapt interest.

This was his domain.

He was still Izaan but it was no joke that he knew his stuff. He was explaining something to that doctor and Safwa had only seen him talking like this a handful of times.

This was the first time Safwa was seeing him in his professional glory and it felt nice to know that somewhere this man was taking the plunge and not second guessing himself.

Maybe that was resorted to only when she was concerned. Who knew?

As if on cue, he looked away from the file in his hand and his eyes landed at her. Surprise made way for confusion and the next moment the file was back in the Junior Doctor's hand. He said something to the receptionist and, turning around, reached Safwa's side in long strides.

"Hi."

She greeted, also standing up.

"Hey."

How weird is it with past lovers. There's so much unsaid between just Hi and Hey.