Chapter 3: I can help

Trisha POV

I flashed him a toothy grin when he handed over a note to the cashier for the muffins I gratefully picked. We settled on an empty table with the order, which I picked some for him too.

"Would you like some?" I offered him one of the chocolate muffins.

"I'm not a muffin guy." He turned down the offer without giving a second thought.

"Not a muffin guy," I murmured his remark as I got my first mouthful of the muffin. The taste was delicious and made me incapable of holding back from catching another piece of muffin from the plate.

"Are you done with that?"

"No, I still got some. Are you in a hurry?"

No response was received from him, but I felt his eyes making a hole in my head. Slowly, I lifted my head and shifted my sight from those cute muffins to his not-so-cute face. He sat in front of me with his back leaned on the chair, and his arms crossed over his chest. I've never seen anyone with that kind of emotionless face. I refrained from asking him when was the last time he smiled.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" His face remained the same with my question.

"Is there anything on my face?" I wiped my lips, just in case there was something there.

"Not there, but here." He ended up saying something and at the same time, pushed his body closer to the front. I was surprised when he suddenly reached the edge of my lips and rubbed it softly.

"Wh-what are you doing?"

"Sorry, I can't hold back. You have the cream on your lips, and it disturbs my sight." He seems to be taken aback, realizing his action.

"Oh, it's no big deal. Thank you, anyway." I got rid of the embarrassment.

"I paid back your muffin, but you still owe me something."

"Did I?" Although I was aware of what he mentioned, I pretended not to understand it.

"Explanation."

"Oh, that one," I responded awkwardly.

"Yeah, you knew it." He exhorted me, leaving me no space to turn him down. I turned to look at the exit door, wondering if I could make it out from the cafe safely without getting caught by anyone.

"I know what you have in your mind. To be honest, I don't think you'll get there. Would you like to hear my opinion?"

"What?"

"First of all, it's late now, and you're not going to get cars easily at a time like this. Second, maybe those guys are still looking for you, which means you're still in danger. Third, I saved you twice. Don't you think you should give me an explanation of what happened today?"

"Actually, you know what, there's nothing serious about those guys. We probably should end this? "I turned my head and looked at his face, and I wish I could read his mind.

Not sure if I saw it wrongly, but I noticed his lips quirked into a smirk. "That trick doesn't work on me. Be honest, what sort of trouble are you in?"

I cursed inaudibly before feigning a clueless face. "Trouble? What trouble are you talking about? You are assuming things."

"I wasn't born yesterday."I almost burst out laughing with his statement, but his serious face just cut me off. A sigh slipped from my lips, noticing that he was still waiting for my reply.

"Am I look like a troublemaker to you?"

He shrugged his shoulder, "I don't judge people based on their appearance, so I can't tell. How about you explain to me the situation we are in now?"

"No other choice for me?"

"What do you think?"

"Sigh, I really don't know how to explain it. Anyway, to make a long story short, they're regular customers of the bar that I worked at before, and we have some misunderstanding."

"That's all?"

I nodded my head with great confidence. He was not a person who can be easily deceived, and the way he squinted his eyes showed my words did not succeed in persuading him. This guy is smart and letting him know the truth is dangerous.

"Yeah, that's all. What else do you expect from me?"

"Nothing."

"That's mean we can leave now?" I thought he wouldn't let me get away easily.

"Pick up your things. I'll drive you home."

I immediately picked up my backpack and followed him from behind to the exit door. Silently, I blew a breath of relief for getting through it. At least he took my word for it.

The journey through the car was silent. Even though I just met him for few hours, I could see that he is not the type of guy that talks much, and I'm not in the mood for any conversation either. It might be safer if I keep my mouth shut until I get home. Talking too much and accidentally spilling out the truth will cause another trouble.

Tristan POV

I stopped by her place, following the direction she pointed out to me earlier.

"We're here, "I told her without turning my head to her side. I waited for her to open the door, but she just kept silent. Turning my head to the side, I noticed that she had fallen asleep in the seat with the seatbelt still attached around her.

"I bet the escape consumed your energy." I watched as she slept. My hands slowly approached her before delicately removing the loose hair that covered her sleeping face.

She got me into some weird feelings. For some reason, she doesn't seem weak, but I have a strong desire to protect her. She showed her bravery in dealing with those guys, but I'm sure deep in her heart, it freaks her out.

"Trish..Tisha, we've arrived." I gently tapped her shoulder. It didn't affect her, as she was still in her deep slumber.

"Trisha, it's time for you to go." I tried for the second time, but this time with a louder voice. Her body showed some movement, scrunching her face; she rubbed her eyes and looked around.

 "I'm sorry. I fell asleep."

"Don't worry. We just got here a few moments ago."

"Hmm, thank you for helping me out. And also, I'm sorry for the trouble today."

"Small matter," I reassured her.

"I should probably go. Thanks again, Tristan." She pushed her way out of the car.

I gazed at her, watching her every move. Before she was away from my sight, I pulled down the window.

"Trisha!" She turned as I called her name.

"Yeah?"

"If you need any help, let me know. I can help."

My words seemed to surprise her, but shortly afterward, a smile masked her face.

"It's nice to meet you, Tristan. You're really nice guy." I stayed there watching her enter the apartment safely until she completely disappeared from my view. Her back seemed so lonely as if she carried a heavy burden which she refused to reveal to the world.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤