Chapter 14: No feeling attached

Trisha POV

It has been a week since I started working in Tristan's company, but luckily, I get a job that is not directly under him even though with the fact that he is one of the owners of the company. At least, we were on a different floor, and the chance to bump into each other is low. I was recruited under the Human Resource department as the assistant of the department's manager, Marco. He is a nice guy in his early thirties with a good personality, and I found it lucky to work with him.

"Hey Trisha, ready?"

"Sure, let's go." I agreed to have lunch with Marco today.

"Ladies first." His hand was on the door, holding the door for me.

"Thank you. Only two of us?" Turning my eyes around, I spotted no other people followed from behind. The office was almost empty as most of the staff were out for lunch.

"Yup, I hope you don't mind."

"Of course nope." I reassured him with a smile as I don't see any issue having lunch with him. We walked to the cafe which was located near the office building.

We spent our break time wisely. His cheerful and talkative personality doesn't make me awkward around him. On the contrary, he talked about many fun topics, and I felt like I have known him for a long time even though I've just started working as his assistant for a week.

Tristan POV

I was having lunch with Manuel as I saw Trisha and one guy entering the same cafe while laughing off about something. The expressions on their face proved that they were having a good time together.

"What are you looking at?" Manuel's voice snapped me back.

"Who is that guy? I don't think I have seen him before."

"Oh, that's the HR manager, Marco."

"So, he is her boss. Looks like they are a good partner."

"Why? Jealous?"

"Don't talk nonsense. We are not in that kind of relationship." I shift my attention to the food in front of me.

"Talking about your relationship with her, how did she turn to be your sister? That's kinda odd for me."

"I just treated her like a sister. She needed help and protection and I don't see anything wrong with that."

"She is not the only one having problem in this world, bro. You just created that excuse to hide your feeling towards her. Stop lying to yourself."

"I know what I'm doing. You don't have to bother about it."

"Of course you know but let's see until when you want to be her brother. Maybe one day the title will change, who knows." He flashed a teasing smile, making me want to punch his annoying face.

"That will not change." I convinced myself nothing will change as he mentioned. My intention was clear; to protect and help her. She reminded me of my sister sometimes.

"Judging from their interaction, I think they are comfortable with each other. He doesn't treat her like an assistant. If people don't know about their connection, they might think they are a couple."

I observed them. How could they become so close with the fact that she just started working for a week? Is she treated everyone like that? Then, without noticing it, I started to make a comparison of her behaviour when she was with other people and me.

"Maybe because of the age factor. That guy-"

"Marco. His name is Marco." He purposely reminded me, repeating the name twice.

"Not important. How long he has been working with us?"

"If not mistaken, not more than three years. Why don't you ask her to work directly under you?

"I had enough people in my team."

"Oh, come on. Create one then. Looks at Carlos and Miguel. Learn from them, bro. See how that same tactic work successfully." Not sure what imagination he had at the moment, but his maniac smile assured me that it wasn't something pure.

"Why would I do that if there is no feeling attached? I don't have that kind of feeling for her."

"Bro, looks. Let me interpret the situation for you. You're not the type of person who cares about anyone around you. The normal you will try your best not to interfere with anyone especially if it involves girls. You're living in your own world, but now you are opening the door for her to enter. You specially allowed her to enter your life. You didn't realize that?"

Spontaneously, the flashback of our memories rewinded in my mind. I sought to find the logic in his so-called interpretation, but it doesn't make sense at all to me.

"I was there when she was in trouble and I just lend her a hand. Even though I don't care about anyone but that doesn't mean that I have a stone heart. What do you expect? To leave her being bullied by those guys? Wait, is that why you view me as your friend? Am I that cruel?" I raised my brows at him, peering at him with a threatening look.

He feigned a peal of laughter, trying to fool me away.

"Perhaps better than that. But, do you ever let anyone to enter your life recklessly? Not to bring up the word sister."

"That is the only way to make her feel comfortable with my help."

"And why do you need to make her feel comfortable around you?"

I scrunched my face, trying to understand his question again.

"Are you trying to psycho me right now? Comfortable with my help and feel comfortable around me are totally two different things."

"It's the same thing." He enunciated each word clearly.

"What are you guys talking about?" Both of us turn to look at the source of the voice. It was Miguel. The couples started to occupy the empty seats on the table.

"Hey, why are you guys so late?" Manuel asked while I was pondering about our topic earlier.

"Stuck with the meeting. Let's order first." Carlos answered with a sigh.

"We saw Trisha and her boss in the front table earlier. I asked her to have lunch with us next time."

"Yeah, we noticed them too. By the way, talking about Trisha. She is the topic we're talking about."

"What's wrong?" Cassandra questioned out of concern.

"Nothing wrong with her but there is something wrong with our brother here."

"Tristan? Why?" She turned her attention to me.

"What do you guys think about their sister-brother relationship? Is that making any sense?"

"I know what you want to say. You think Tristan helped her because he had feeling for her. Right?" Scarlet chirped, undoubtedly, she agreed with Manuel's nonsense opinion. The big grin on her face expressed it all.

"See, I'm not the only one. Give me five!" I narrowed my eyes at them as they doing high-five like a kid.

"She is a kind girl. You guys can try to know each other better. Who knows, it will work." Cassandra joined them, wriggling her brows playfully.

"Carlos, Miguel, please take care of the girls. Don't let them being spoiled by Manuel." I warned them.

"I don't see anything wrong with that." A light punch landed on Miguel's shoulder as he tried to tease me too.

Carlos raised his hand in a surrendering manner. "I'm not going to say anything but girls and guys, please don't make our brother piss off, or else he will ignore us for a week."

"Aww.." Both the girls teased, which was followed by their laughter afterwards. I gulped down the drink to cool my throat and trying my best to ignore them. Unfortunately, this topic will never end, so I better be the one to back off. 

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤