Chapter 37: I'm back

Tristan POV

The moment I saw Trisha at the door, I yelped for her name. She was aware that I would not hurt her or do anything bad to her. Despite that, she determined to leave. I want to solve the mess between us and start a new page with her.

I was too late when I rushed to the door as the lift was on the way to the lobby. Without wasting any time, I flew to the stairs to reach the lobby. Due to impatience, I accidentally missed a step and fell from the stairs, which caused me to hit my right hand on the floor. I groaned as the pain struck me. It urged me to give up the thought of chasing her. And, just like that, the idea of bringing her back to my place vanished from my mind. I won't force her to stay if she doesn't like the idea.

***

After a few hours in the private hospital with some procedure to check the injury, the doctor bandaged my injured hand and decided that I needed an arm sling. The doctor requested me to come back for the next follow-up after a week.

"Manuel, can you replace me for the meeting later? Unfortunately, something happened, and I can't attend the meeting.

"What happened, bro? Is it because of Trisha?"

"I injured my hand and need to put on this freaking arm sling. Nothing serious. I will take some pill killers and rest for the day. I'm just too exhausted to think about her now." Not sure the reason, but speaking of her made me upset. I realized how reluctant for her to stay, and I blamed myself for being too harsh around her.

After I ended the call, I swallowed pain killer and lay down on the couch in darkness. There are times when you didn't welcome light in your life, not even a bit. And today was the day for me. I needed to let go of the physical and mental pain that threatened to crash down my spirit slowly.

***

The doorbell sound on the door interrupted my sleep. I decided to ignore it by covering my ear with the pillow. After a while, the person outside seemed to give up, and I released a relieved breath as it ultimately turned quiet as before.

"Tristan, are you asleep?" I opened my eyes to spot the person, but it was too dark for me to see anything—that voice, the favorite voice that I always anticipated. I was doubting if she was here for real or if I was dreaming?

"Hey, it's me." Her voice persuaded me it wasn't a dream. The light that peeked through the curtain allowed me to have a chance to look at her face. She was standing near the couch with her face staring down at me.

"How did you-" I slapped my forehead after that question slipped out of my mouth as I suddenly remembered I showed her the password before.

"I knew the password, remember?" She said nonchalantly, her eyes scanning my body.

"Why are you here?" I asked with my sleepy yet moody voice.

"Manuel told me you accidentally fell from the stairs. Is that because of me?"

"I don't wanna talk about it." I pulled the pillow to cover my face once again, and I turned to the other side, making my back facing her. Having the picture about her escaping from me this morning made me not in the mood to talk to her.

"I knew it was my fault, but I'm back now."

"Why are you coming back, Trisha? I understand you don't like to be in the same place as me, so I'm not going to force you to stay this time, so you may leave if you want." I hope she noted the last three words.

"Did you really mean that?" I remained quiet with my face buried under the pillow.

I heard her sigh after a while since I chose to ignore her. "Tristan, I'm talking to you."

I threw the pillow away before standing up from the couch. She lifted her face to see me.

"I have no word in this. It's up to you." I said sternly, heading towards the bedroom. Perhaps we both need time to be alone, to clear our minds, to calm our hearts, and to think about the best decision we can come out with.

Trisha POV

His words upset me, but I can't blame him for that. It might sound like he pushed me away, but actually, he gave me the freedom to make a decision. He could actually put the blame on me and forced me to take responsibility to take care of him, but he didn't.

The thought of him trying to mend our relationship and his effort to fulfill my request this morning made the guilt grow stronger. If I didn't choose to escape this morning, our story might be different by now. Probably, we've sorted everything by now. But, put aside that possibility, I just made the whole situation worse. Tears threatened to wet my cheeks.

"It's okay. Everything is going to get better. This time it's going to be me chasing you around, Tristan." I started to figure out my plan to make him forgive me. I knew he wasn't mad at me but just sulking. That was somewhat cute, though, to see a cold guy like him acting like that.

I dropped a text to Ryan, asking his help to send someone to deliver my belonging to Tristan's place as I told him I would be staying at his cousin's place until he recovered. He replied to the text with a funny emoticon. The naughty face that he sent to me was enough to guess his expression with the news.

Thinking about lunch, I decided to get some stuff from the nearby market. Tristan might need some rest, so I didn't tell him anything about my departure. Instead, I smiled as the idea to surprise him with the food hit me. Who knows, one meal can make me get a hold of him.

I'm so ready for the first mission. 

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤