Chapter 5 - Who's that girl?

Alpha Jacob Roberts took one last look in the mirror, as he straightened out his cuffs, he looked dapper in his evening attire. The dark-haired alpha was only 38, but he was already developing salt & pepper streaks in his mane, which gave him an attractive distinguished look. He exited the visitor suite, at the east side of the Alpha's floor and began walking down the long corridor, towards the central staircase. His keen wolf hearing heard the faint sound of Alpha Knight's bedroom door being opened quietly and somebody carefully slipping out, deliberately placing their footsteps lightly. Why was Alpha Knight sneaking around his own floor like a cat, thought Jacob? He slowed his walking, and pressed his back to the wall, keeping hidden in the darkened corridor, where he could keep a view of the large double doors that led to the stairwell. A sexy young she-wolf came into view, her long blonde ponytail looking mussed up, like she had just been in a tryst of some sort. He inhaled deeply, even from this distance he could smell Alpha Knight's potent scent on her, and it was the unmistakable aroma of semen he could detect. Who's that girl?

Jacob knew Alpha Knight's reputation as a staunch believer in fated mates, and he reportedly was never tempted by the many she-wolves that threw themselves at him. Knight often preached to his pack the importance of staying true to the mate bond, and to never lose faith in the moon goddess. Apparently, he believed you should always keep your future mate in the back of your mind and consider how your actions would one day affect them. Mystic Falls had strict conduct rules, and their warriors had a sterling reputation of not only being the best fighters, but also adhering to their pack's core values at all times.

How fruitful his visit had become, he now felt certain the notoriously private Alpha Knight was a blue blood, and he appeared to have a secret lover, or perhaps she was even his mate? He'd heard the rumours, that since the Luna abductions, some Alphas were keeping their mates hidden. Alphas were choosing to forgo a Luna, to ensure their mate's safety. He wondered if this is what Alpha Knight was doing, is this stunning woman his true mate? It did make sense, especially for his rare blue blood lineage, that he would need to protect his mate in this way.

Of course, in Jacob's case, he had no need to hide his Luna. Hence Alpha Roberts was so revered, as the only Alpha to have successfully rescued his Luna from the CBC, some 20 years ago. The CBC stood for 'Crypto-Blood Corporation', a highly secretive human organization, that were responsible for the Luna abductions. Jacob had only been eighteen years old, when he rescued Luna Sophie, who was also eighteen at the time. Jacob remembered how in love he was with Sophie back then; he would have done anything for her.

Having Luna Sophie by his side, had boosted the fertility of his pack. While other packs were dealing with a declining population, Silver Moon's birth rate was on the incline. The bitter irony being, they didn't have children themselves. He tried not to think about the one and only pup they had and lost. The CBC had forced them to pay the ultimate price for their freedom, and Sophie had never forgiven him for it. Sophie had long since withdrawn from him, retreating from their bed chamber, and choosing to sleep in her own room. Of course, he took mistresses, he had plenty of beautiful women to seek pleasure with, but he still yearned for his mate. Maybe there was a way he could use his new-found knowledge to his advantage. Information on a blue blood alpha, and his hidden mate would be extremely valuable. Jacob might be able to buy back the one thing that could sway the heart of his beloved mate.

********************************************************

"Did you at least check out the dick pics, before you erased them?" Jaxon asked, grinning a big toothy smile at Ava, with his dimples on display as he took a swig of his beer. The beta was looking dashing as always in his Armani suit, several of the young she-wolves were staring at him and whispering amongst themselves. He flashed the ladies his signature cocky smile, and raised his beer glass to them, the girls erupted in a fit of giggles. Ava rolled her eyes "Yes, of course I did, it was a necessary part of the job."