Chapter 35 - Go to her!

Delicious anticipation tightened his balls, at the thought of mounting his mate. First, he had to catch the beautiful white wolf. Never had he seen such a stunning she-wolf, with her sexy black dipped paws. With a big wolfish grin, she sped off towards the forest. Atlas let out low howl behind her. Running away triggered his wolf's instinct to chase. But she was no scared rabbit. Racing across the meadow, relishing the wind rippling across their fur and the taste of freedom, both wolves let out joyous yips. Behind the white wolf, Atlas was hot on her heels. Deliberately she slowed, allowing him to catch. He leapt. But when he landed, she had vanished beneath him.

He looked up surprised, how did she vanish? He spotted her in the distance, she had his black bandana gripped in her jaws. When did she snatch that? She had a determined look in her eyes, she wanted him to follow her, but it was clear mating was no longer on her mind. He gave chase again, but suddenly there was thick fog everywhere, he couldn't see anything. He heard her howling in the distance, urging him on, so he headed in the direction of the sound. In his head he thought he could hear the voice of his mate "Go to her, she needs you, go to her! There is no time to waste!"

He began running in earnest, his large grey paws pounding the earth. The fog cleared and he realised he was on old Bob's land, he hadn't been out here in years. As he neared Bob's Cabin, he noticed there was no sounds, not a bird chirping, no insects moving. He sensed something was wrong, very wrong. He shifted back to skin form.

"Bob it's Atlas, I've come to visit, is everything alright?" He called out as he cautiously approached the cabin. Climbing the steps to the porch, he pushed the screen door open. There was old Bob in his rocking chair, but strangely it was turned, so he could only see the back of the chair.

"Bob, are you ok?" as he neared Bob a rotten smell hit his sensitive wolf nostrils. He rounded the rocking chair, and to his horror Bob was dead, his throat had been slashed. It appeared from the state of the corpse he had been dead for some time. Then he heard a blood curdling female scream, it was coming from outside somewhere. Rushing out the door and off the porch, he headed around the back of the cabin. A pregnant she-wolf was running for her life, being chased by a couple of deranged looking feral rogue wolves. Flashing fangs, and dripping saliva, the wolves were snapping at her, baying for blood. The she-wolf spotted Altas, and started to run towards him, "help me please!" she pleaded.

He tried to run towards her, but found he couldn't move, he looked down to see he was sinking into mud. The more he desperately tried to get out of the mud hole, the more he kept sinking.  As he sank deeper into the mud, he looked up, to see the pregnant she-wolf being torn to pieces by the feral wolves, her brown eyes staring at him, pleading for him to save her.  All he could do was watch in horror as the ferals viciously killed her and her unborn pup.

Atlas jolts awake with a start. What the fuck was that dream? It wasn't the first time he'd dreamt of his dead mate, but it had never been the nightmare he had just experienced. He sat up and swung his legs off the bed. Leaning over with his arms resting on his knees, bowing his head, he runs his hand back and forth over his buzz cut. He first shaved his head 5 months ago, when he experienced the awful feeling of the sudden death of his mate. At Redwood pack, shaving your head was a sign of mourning. You were only meant to shave your head once, and then let the hair grow back. Once your hair has fully grown back to its former length, your period of mourning was over. Atlas had kept razoring his hair, fortnightly giving himself a number one buzz cut, signalling he was not over the death of his mate. How could he be? He didn't even know her identity, without knowing that, how could he ever get closure? Atlas had only ever met his mate once in fur form, during a top-secret training exercise. Delta Brandon was the only person who knew her true identity, and Brandon had died before Atlas had managed to get the information from him. They had only ever mated once, as wolves, and hence why she always came to him in her wolf form in his dreams. Usually, his dreams were a recreation in some form of their initial meeting and subsequent mating chase, ending with him waking up with a throbbing hard-on and a deep longing in his chest. But last night's dream was different, never had the white wolf spoken to him before, and never had she shown him such an awful vision, her words repeating in his head "Go to her, she needs you, go to her! There is no time to waste!"