Chapter 27 - Cousins

Alpha Knight is in his wolf form, running through the dark forest, his paws pounding on the dirt. He must reach Lily, before the CBC does. But which way does he go? Why can't he remember? He lifts his nose in the air, but he can't scent his mate. Then he hears a blood curdling scream, and he barrels towards the sound.

He comes to a clearing, which is illuminated by the full blood moon. That's right, tonight is the event of the rare blood moon, he's sure he was meant to do something under the moon, but he can't remember what? Looking up at the moon, it doesn't look as beautiful as he expected. The moon is an angry dark red colour, it reminds him of the colour of blood. He has shifted into his skin form now, when did he do that? He looks down at his palms, his blood oath scars are bleeding, blood is pouring out of them. He licks his palms, but the bleeding doesn't stop.

"Caden, my bonded, you came for me! Help me!"

Caden looks up to see Ava chained to a large oak tree. She is wearing a beautiful white dress, with a crown of wildflowers adorning her head. Only when he looks closer the wildflowers have turned into red & pink roses, the same roses he picked from Luna Sophie's Garden for Lily. The roses have thorns, that are pricking Ava's skin, blood is dripping down her face and into her eyes. The CBC have used silver chains to secure her to the large trunk of the tree. They are burning into Ava's flesh; she is crying in pain. He is tearing at the roses and the silver chains, trying to release her.

"We'll release her, just give us some of your blood. Just a little blood to free your mate, that's a fair trade".

Caden looks up to see a CBC officer holding a huge syringe, approaching him to extract his blood.

"What do you say Alpha Knight, will you give your blood to save your mate?"

"She's not my mate! You will never get to my mate! She is safe! I can keep her safe!" Caden screams at the approaching CBC officer.

"Are you sure about that? Take another look" he answers with an evil laugh.

Caden turns back to the oak tree, and to his horror it is now Lily chained to the tree, wearing the white dress and crown of rose thorns.

"Caden the pup! Save our pup!" Lily cries. Lily's belly is bulging, pregnant with their pup. He turns to kill the CBC officer, who has now vanished. He manages to free Lily from the oak tree and holds her in her arms. She starts having contractions and is screaming in pain.

"The baby is coming; you need to save her!"

Lily pushes out a tiny little wolf puppy, instead of a baby. It is so small it fits in the palm of one hand. It is shivering and cold, he rubs the pup's body, but it has become still and lifeless. Then Lily starts to convulse, huge amounts of blood pour out from between her legs. He is trying to stop the flow of blood, but he can't. Lily reaches up with a shaky hand and touches his face.

"Caden my love, why did you forsake us? You said you would keep us safe?"

"Lily please don't die, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" He is clutching Lily's lifeless body to him with one arm, and holding the little dead puppy in the other arm. He looks down at the puppy, which is no longer a wolf but a tiny baby girl, her little lips are blue, and her body is stiff and cold. Caden throws back his head and howls at the horrible blood moon, why has the goddess forsaken him?!

****************************************************

Caden jolts awake with a start. He is drenched in sweat, and his cheeks are damp. He touches his wet face, was he crying? The images of his nightmare play back in his mind, it was the most horrific dream he has ever experienced. With shaky legs he makes his way to his bathroom to take a shower. He needs to cleanse himself and remove any remnants of his nightmare. Leaning his strong arms against the tiled shower wall, lowering his head, he allows the water to cascade down from the rainfall showerhead, running over his broad shoulders and down his muscular back. As he tries to wash away the memories of his nightmare, he ponders on the late-night conversation he had with Alpha Knox.