Chapter 34 - Stubborn Heart

"Triple word score! I win! This is first time I've beaten you Uncle Bob" exclaims Lily, as she begins packing up the scrabble board, she glances up at the old clock on the wall "I guess it's bedtime". Playing scrabble after dinner has become their nightly past time. Two months have passed since Lily moved in with Uncle Bob. At first her gruff old great-uncle barely said two words to her, but over the weeks Lily's sweet feminine ways began to thaw his tough old heart. It had been a long time since he had a female presence in the house, in fact it had been a long time since he had any company at all. He had grown accustomed to living alone, he thought he enjoyed the hermit lifestyle. But over the last couple of months, he begrudgingly realised that his life had vastly improved having his great-niece around.

At first her cooking was sub-par, but she fastidiously studied the dusty old cooking books and his beloved Blanches old family recipes, and now dinner time had become the highlight of his day. He had told her his favourite recipe was Aunty Blanche's apple pie, and Lily had meticulously practised Blanche's recipe, until she mastered making the pie just they way he liked, she even got the crust perfect. The first time he'd tasted her perfected pie, it brought back so many memories of his late mate, that he had to hide a tear that slid down his cheek. He wasn't used to feeling emotions, and he wasn't sure he liked it. He had learnt it wasn't a good idea to become attached to loved ones, because they could always be taken away from you. When Blanche died it had almost killed him, so he took solace in being alone in the wilderness, relying on nobody but himself.

Lily's touches had begun popping up everywhere. He noticed the cabin was becoming cleaner and cleaner, years of dust had been dusted, swept and scrubbed away. Fresh cut wildflowers in vases were dotted around the house, and little sketches and paintings began adorning the walls. His sheets and clothes had never been cleaner, and his belly never fuller. He felt like a pampered domesticated wolf. What an idiot her mate was for rejecting her, there must be over a thousand male wolves out there who would kill for a mate like Lily. Uncle Bob watched his great-niece as she tidied up the scrabble set, her baby bump protruding out. That bump was getting bigger by the day, only four months to go before the pup arrived, the thought worried him. What would happen to his niece and her pup, if he was to die, who would look after them? Let's face it, he wasn't a young pup anymore, sooner rather than later he would be ascending to the moon. A beautiful young woman like Lily shouldn't be stuck out in the woods with a grumpy old man like him, she should be getting pampered and nurtured by her mate.

Bob grabs his pipe and tobacco and makes his way out to the front porch. He likes to smoke his pipe in the evening before bed. Lily has told him he has to smoke on the front porch, not in the house anymore. He pretends to be annoyed, but he likes her enforcing her little rules around the house, she reminds him so much of Blanche.

"Lily come out on the porch with me, I have a surprise for you" he says as he steps out onto the porch and settles into his old rocking chair, lighting his pipe. Lily follows her uncle out "What is it Uncle Bob?"

"It's sitting over there, covered with a blanket, take a look".

Lily looks over at the other corner of the porch, just now noticing a large item, covered up with an old blanket. She walks over and pulls the blanket off to reveal a beautiful hand-crafted wooden rocking cradle, carved from maple, featuring meticulous turned elements and curves. Lily gasps at the sight "Uncle Bob this is so beautiful, this must have taken you forever to make! When did you do this?" Lily runs her hands over the smooth wood, and gives the cradle a little push, it rocks back and forth perfectly.

"I've been working on it a little each day since you arrived. I didn't varnish it, as I figured you'd want to paint it yourself".

"Oh yes, I can't wait to paint it! I'll start on it tomorrow; I already have so many ideas in mind. Oh, thank you Uncle Bob, this is the first baby present I've received, and easily the most beautiful item I've ever owned".  Lily rushes over to her uncle and throws her arms around him, giving the old man a kiss on his bearded cheek. She is crying, overcome with emotion.

"Oh come on now. It was nothing really, don't cry" Uncle Bob says as he gives her an awkward pat on the back. He's not used to affection and having to comfort a female. Lily straightens up and wipes her tears, she gives him a little nod and a smile.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cry. It's just you've been so good to me, taking me in like this. I'm so glad to have met you. I don't have much family; you and Aunt Sophie are all I have in this world. I love you both very much" with that Lily leans down and gives her uncle a kiss on his forehead "Goodnight Uncle and thank you again". Lily takes a last longing look at her wonderful new cradle, and makes her way inside the cabin, off to bed. Uncle Bob sits there, rocking on his old chair, puffing on his pipe, quietly wiping away the tears running down his cheeks, goddess dammit that little she-wolf has gone and wormed her way right into his stubborn old heart.

What do you think of great Uncle Bob?  I love grumpy old men, don't you?  If you like the story please follow me, vote, and comment - so I know to continue – I really appreciate your support :)