Chapter 40 - Let Her Go

Caden walks into his office, only to find Mandy perched on his desk. She has her long slender legs crossed and she's jutting her chest out, putting herself on full display. Caden inwardly groans, not again. Mandy had escorted him to one pack function, and now she keeps acting as though they are a couple. The only reason he took a date, was to ward off all the Alphas who were trying to set him up with their daughters. He'd chosen Mandy, because he had no attraction to her whatsoever, thus making her the perfect platonic companion, well so he thought. Now he regretted that decision, he just can't seem to get rid of her.

"You shouldn't be in here Mandy. What have I told you about staying out of my office?"

"Oh...I know that your office is out of bounds to the rest of the pack, but I didn't think those rules applied to me?" Mandy says, with a faux pout of her painted red lips.

"Those rules certainly do apply to you. What do you want? I have work to do", Caden says as he sits down at his desk. Mandy jumps off the desk immediately, and totters over to come around behind the Alpha. Her short skirt is too tight and her heels too high, making it hard for her to walk properly. She starts massaging his shoulders.

"Oh you're so tense, let me help you relieve this tension. I can give great massages, and I'm skilled in other areas of stress relief too, all you need to do is ask".

Caden stiffens at the feel of Mandy's well-manicured hands on his shoulders. His wolf is growling lowly in his mind. He doesn't want any she-wolf but Lily touching them.

"You have 30 seconds to tell my why you're here, then you have to leave. I have an important phone call to make".

"Well...I heard through the grape vine that there is a Luna gathering. Apparently, all the Lunas get together at least once a year for a lady's brunch. Luna Sophie at Silver Moon is hosting it this year, and I was wondering if you would like me to attend as a representative of Mystic Falls pack?"

This was typical Mandy behaviour, always trying to position herself into the Luna role.

"Why would I want you to do that? You're not the Mystic Falls Luna". Caden was trying to breathe through his mouth, Mandy had sprayed herself with some pheromone type perfume. Apparently, it was supposed to entice male wolves, make them believe it was the smell of their mate. Caden couldn't stand the smell, he would need to air his office out once Mandy left. It was nothing at all like Lily's sweet Jasmine and lavender scent, how his heart ached to smell that delicious scent again.

"Oh I know I'm not the Luna just yet, but that doesn't mean Mystic Falls shouldn't be represented. Afterall, it's Luna Sophie that is hosting. She is just the epitome of the perfect Luna, it would be a shame to miss an opportunity to have an audience with her. Just think, maybe her and I could strike up a friendship, wouldn't that be great for our two packs?"

Caden highly doubts the esteemed Luna Sophie would want to befriend Mandy. Still, he would like to see Luna Sophie again, as he was still trying to get information from her regarding Lily's whereabouts. He felt the Luna was keeping something from him. Maybe this Luna's gathering would be a good excuse to visit Silver Moon, and talk to Sophie again. He needed to know if Lily was ok. Living without her was hard enough, but not knowing if she was alright was killing him.

"Ok Mandy you can attend the Luna brunch, but I'll escort you myself". Mandy begins to squeal in excitement.

"Reeallly??!! Oh my, you'll take me yourself?! That is so unexpected Caden, should we stay overnight?! I hear they have a lovely, secluded guest cabin at Silver moon, why don't we book it?"

Caden freezes at the mention of the guest cabin, he has bittersweet memories of that cabin. Memories of making passionate love to Lily, then the subsequent rejection, and his final memory of leaving her howling on the bed. The idea of sharing that cabin with Mandy, or any other she-wolf sickens him. A low growl emits from his chest, and he shrugs Mandy's hands off his shoulder. Standing from his desk chair, he walks towards his bar, he needs a scotch. Grabbing the decanter, he pours himself two fingers, and takes a sip, staring coolly at the she-wolf in his office.