Chapter 49 - The Hunt

In the distance, a haunting howl echoes through the forest. Jaxon tilts his head back and answers with his own howl, slowly but surely more and more howling can be heard from various pack members across the valley. This has become an evening ritual at Mystic Falls, to answer their Alpha's lonely call. Every evening their Alpha climbs the steep trail to reach the Mystic Falls waterfall, so he can stand on top of the huge cliffs and sing his heartfelt call, mourning the loss of his mate. But only Jaxon knows he is mourning the loss of his true mate, not the late Delta. Jaxon waits dutifully at the clearing, with spare clothes at the ready. The beta is always on tenterhooks, as he awaits the return of his Alpha, he is still fearful that one day Caden will remain permanently in the wild. Jaxon exhales in relief, as he sees the large black wolf emerge from the treeline, slowly shifting back to his skin form. Caden approaches Jaxon and takes the offered clothing, giving his beta a slight nod in acknowledgement.

"How did the falls look this evening?" asks Jaxon, as they head back towards the pack house.

"As always, the Mystic Falls, are spectacular. I really wish I could have shown them to her. I always dreamt of sharing that view with my mate one day" Caden laments as he pulls on his T-shirt.

"Maybe you still can. She's not dead, you said yourself you can still feel a little of the bond, that means there is still hope?"

"Luna Sophie told me about a human proverb 'If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it's yours. If not, it was never meant to be'. Initially that saying gave me hope, that Lily would find her way back to me. But when I felt her accept my rejection, I realised how much pain I must have caused her. How could she ever take me back after I was so cruel to her? Now I'm wondering if the saying really means that we were never meant to be, that perhaps I'm not destined to have a mate. I hope wherever she is, she is at least happy. She deserves all the happiness in the world, even I can't be the one to give it to her."

As they near the pack house, Josh emerges to greet them.

"Alpha Knight, Alpha Knox called while you were out. He requests you ring him back tonight". The Alpha nods in acknowledgement to his newly appointed Delta. It was an extremely tough competition, but in the end, Josh won the trials and prevailed as the new Delta. Finding his mate, had given the young soldier the extra testosterone he required to defeat all the other contenders, including Christie. As the competition went on, Josh appeared to grow bigger and stronger, in front of their very eyes. The young soldier would puff out his chest, postering in front of Lina. If another male, even so much as glanced at Lina, they would be knocked out by the tall blonde soldier within seconds. It was an unfair advantage he had gained by finding his true mate, but that was the way of wolves, the strongest always prevails. There were no politically correct appointments in packs, you had to earn your position, and there was a strict hierarchy they all followed.

"Alpha Knight will ring him after dinner. Come let us start the evening meal, the pack is waiting" answers Jaxon. The three of them head into the pack dining area, where the rest of the pack is patiently waiting to begin eating. As is the Mystic Falls custom, the Alpha must select from the buffet first, followed by the Beta and then the Delta. Only then can the rest of the pack take a plate of food and begin their meal.

********************************************

Four weeks has passed since the birth of Xavier, and Rose has healed well. The large grey wolf is staring at her intensely, waiting for her to shift, he desperately wants to meet her wolf. This will be Rose's first time shifting in ten months, and she is nervous. Her own wolf is becoming impatient, and she can feel the intense urge to shift to fur form.