Chapter 29 - Into the wild

Flames from the funeral pyres were burning bright. Ryan and Ava's funeral ceremonies were completed, and now their bodies were turning to ash, as their souls ascend back to the moon. Led by Alpha Knight, the pack were taking a sombre walk towards the clearing, that bordered the forest. This is where their pack run would begin. Overhead the blood moon shone brilliantly, glowing a surreal rusty red colour. It sat low in the sky, as if it was participating in the ceremony, illuminating their path.

The Alpha looks up at the moon, he couldn't help but think of Lily. Yesterday he had asked her to become his Luna, planning to take the sacred vows, under this very moon. Now he would be making the sacred vows alone, claiming the wrong person. A tear slips down his cheek. To the observer, he appears to be mourning his dead mate, but he was not thinking of Ava. He was mourning a future that would never be, and a soulmate who was very much alive, but was no longer his. True happiness had touched his heart for the briefest moment, before being violently ripped away from him.

Caden turns to his pack, all of the Mystic Falls wolves have come out to show their respect, from the elderly to the young. He glances at Jaxon, who gives his Alpha a nod in support.

"Thank you everyone, for attending today's ceremonies, and showing your respect for our fallen pack mates, Ryan and Ava. I would like to take a moment to address some rumours that have been circulating about myself and Delta Ava". Caden needed to word his statement carefully. He did not like lying, especially to his pack, it made him feel dishonourable. At the same time, for Lily's sake, he needed everyone to believe Ava was his mate. As when he spoke with Alpha Knox, he decided to state facts, and allow people to draw their own conclusions.

"Firstly, I want it made clear that Delta Ava gained her Delta status on her own merits. No preferential treatment was ever shown towards her during the selection process. Anybody who was involved in the Delta trials, or has witnessed Delta Ava in action, knows this to be the truth. I will not tolerate her name being slandered in any way regarding this matter. She will be remembered as the first female to achieve status of Delta at Mystic Falls, and one of the greatest Enforcers to ever serve this pack". The entire pack collectively nods in agreement, some even clapping and stamping their feet.

"Now to address the true nature of my relationship with Ava. Ava and I were childhood friends, and when we turned 18, we secretly bonded and hid the intimate side of our relationship from everyone. We had hoped we were always being discreet and careful, but in the end, it turns out the CBC knew about us. You are all aware of what happened after that. I want to honour Ava, even in death. Ava should be remembered, not as my secret lover, but as my mate and Luna of this pack. For that reason, I ask you now to bear witness to the sacred vows, that will claim Ava as my mate even in death". There were a few gasps from the crowd, some wolves began to cry at the realisation they had lost their luna. But most wolves stood stoically, with their heads bowed, ready for their Alpha to make his claim.

"As your Alpha, I, Caden Knight, promise Ava Hill, that I will honour and cherish you until the end of my days. Although I could not protect your body" Caden pauses here, fighting back the lump in his throat "I vow to protect your soul and remain faithful with every ounce of my being. Today I claim Ava Hill as my mate and announce her as Luna of Mystic Falls". Clapping, cheers and stamping of feet fill the night air, some pack members have already shifted into fur form and are howling. Caden sheds his clothing, and crouches down, calling his wolf to the forefront of his mind. Nails elongate into claws, fur sprouts, bones snap and realign until he stands tall and proud as the pure black Alpha wolf, majestic leader of his pack. He throws his head back and howls at the blood moon, his entire pack answers his call, as they howl back. He takes off at a run, knowing the others will follow. The entire pack, aside from the sick, elderly and pups, follow his lead through the forest.

Caden had only just managed to keep control over his wolf today, but he knew with the stress of what was going on around him, his emotions riding high with rejecting Lily and the full blood moon, he needed to let his wolf run hard tonight. His inner beast surges forward, completely taking control. His wolf is agitated at today's events, the rejection of their true mate, and falsely claiming the wrong she-wolf. Paws pounding on the dirt, kicking up clouds of dust, he runs harder and faster. His wolf feels feral and wants to go into the wild, without responsibilities to anyone or anything. Losing himself to the inner beast, he howls at the moon, thundering further away from the rest of the pack.

Long ago losing the last wolf by his side, hours and hours have passed. Wandering through forest and glen, up the mountain and over craggy rocks. Water splashes around the great wolf as he fords a stream. The male stops and lowers his head to drink, the sun is beginning to rise, which means he has been gone all night. Deep regret fills the wolf. The female left crying on the cabin bed will never race by his side, under a full moon, feeling the rush of wild joy together. Deep primal longing to formally mate Lily in her golden fur form, mounting her supple, ripe body from behind. He tilts his head back and gives a sorrowful howl. If he can't have his mate, then he has no desire to return to his skin form. What purpose do they have without their mate, why should they return to that pack? They're better off living in the wild now, away from all the pain.

He meanders a little distance from the stream, nosing the ground, scenting small creatures trembling in their burrows. The ground begins to slope upwards, and there are rock formations, creating a stone wall. He squeezes himself throw a narrow opening between two large rocks. The inner chamber is a bit small for his large body, but he can dig it out, creating a more comfortable den. The location is ideal, close to water, but up a hill, so it won't flood. Once dug out, it will make a comfortable den. He is exhausted, he curls up inside the little cave and rests his head on his paws. Tomorrow he will hunt, mark his territory, and begin digging out his den. For now, he allows himself to slip into a dreamless slumber, no more human problems to trouble his canine mind with.  

 If you like the story please follow me, vote, and comment - so I know to continue – I really appreciate your support :)