Gryffindor Pride - Chapter 3

(A.N. Sup)

Y/N's P.O.V

*I stared in awe*

Sirius snapped in front of my face to break me out of my trance. The Entrance Hall was so big I could fit the whole of my house in there! The stone walls were lit with flaming torches, the ceiling was too high to make out, and a magnificent marble staircase facing us led to the upper floors.

Then in front of us a tall, black-haired witch in emerald green robes stood there. She had a very stern face and my first thought was that this was not someone to cross.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall." said Hagrid

"Thank you Hagrid, I will take them from here."

We followed the woman called Professor McGonagall across the flagged stone floor. She showed us into a small empty chamber off the hall. We crowded in, standing rather closer than they would usually have done, peering about nervously.

"Welcome to Hogwarts" said Professor McGonagall "The start of term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you must be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend free time in your house common room. The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Each house has it's own noble history and each produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn you house-points while any sort of rule-breaking will lose you points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honour. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours. The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a moment in front of the rest of the school, so I suggest you all smarten yourselves up."

James tried to flatten his hair while Sirius tried to style his. Peter just watched and I and Remus snickered at their panicked expressions.

"Come in!" McGonagall shouted from the Great Hall.

I looked around as I saw this strange but splendid place. It was lit by thousands and thousands of candles which were floating in mid-air over four long tables, where the rest of the students were sitting.

Name's were called in alphabetical order and soon I and my friend's names were called

"Black, Sirius" McGonagall called

Sirius nervously walked up to the stool and sat. We waited anxiously for Sirius' house name. I thought of what house he could be in. Not Ravenclaw, as he didn't seem exceptionally bright. Not Hufflepuff as he wasn't too kind either. It came down to Gryffindor and Slytherin. Gryffindor as he pretty daring, and a good friend too. Or Slytherin as I read all his family was in Slytherin.

"GRYFFINDOR!!!" the hat shouted after a long minute.

Sirius went smiling to the applauding Gryffindor table, but I saw right through him. He was downright terrified that he had been sorted here. After some more names Remus was called.

"Lupin, Remus" Professor Mcgonnagall called.

Remus went and sat under the hat "Mmm-hmm yes..." The sorting hat muttered as he analysed Remus' personality. After about 2 minutes  I noticed a wave of panic washed over Remus' expression as he thought he was a hat-stall but then the hat abruptly shouted "GRYFFINDOR!!!" and the Gryffindor table burst into applause once again.

A few more names were called and then Peter was called to get sorted.

He sat nervously under the hat and after a long minute the hat shouted "GRYFFINDOR!!!"