It Works! - Chapter 36

James' P.O.V

We had made it to fifth year and it was finally done. The potion me and the boys had been working on for almost 4 years had finally finished!

Together, we had all been chanting the incantation whenever we needed to and all of us had felt the second heart beat. 

Today was the day of the electrical storm and everybody was in class while we had snuck away to tend to the potion.

"Today's the day guys!" Sirius exclaimed excitedly.

"I just hope it works." Peter whimpered.

"Let's get the potion out of the closet quick!" I ushered as we ran to our hiding place. I took the vials out of the closet and we ran outside.

"Read the instructions James!" Sirius shouted over the thunder.

"STEP 5: As soon as the lightning appears in the sky, get your potion out! It should be a blood red colour by now! Go somewhere open and safe!" I read out.

"Check!" Peter and Sirius confirmed.

"STEP 6: Place your wand tip against your heart and speak the incantation 'Amato Animo Animato Animagus' and drink the potion! You will then feel a fiery pain!" I said the last part shakily.

As Sirius was about to drink the potion, Peter put a chubby arm on his shoulder. "We should read everything else first!" he suggested.

"He's got a point!" I said as he shrugged.

"Read ahead then Jamsie!" he said as I nodded.

"STEP 7: The shape of the creature in which you will turn into will shortly appear in your mind! As soon as this happens, you are strongly advised to keep your wand in a safe place!" 

"STEP 8: When you transform into an animal, to change back to your human form you have to visualize yourself as a human and you will change back." I finished.

"Is that all?" Peter asked.

"There are some warnings that are telling us this is very painful and some signs that say we don't need to worry about our clothes." I said and threw the paper aside.

"Did you say very painful?" Sirius gulped.

"Meh." I shrugged as their faces turned pale.

"Three, two, one." Peter counted down. As soon as he hit one we gulped down the mouthful of blood red potion and rushed to put our wands in a safe place.

We anxiously waited for something to happen until Sirius and Peter's eyes turned white and soon, flickering images of a stag appeared in my mind.

A stag? That's so cool! I wonder what the other two are.

My thoughts were interrupted as I felt a searing pain go through my body and collapsed onto the soft, wet grass. I heard thumps and small screams to see Sirius and Peter on the floor with me.

I felt myself slowly and agonizingly change. My skull split and reshaped as did the rest of my body,'my limbs grew longer and my physique changed entirely.

As the pain died down. I slowly fluttered my elongated lashes open and got up. I then realised it was a mistake to get up on two legs considering my new shape.

I fell again this time with a significantly louder thump. I got up once more but this time on all fours. I was taller than I usually was and I had a much wider range of vision considering my new eye placement.

I wanted to change back and question the other two how I looked immediately. I looked straight at the boys but I could only see a dog. I wonder where Peter is.