Headboy? - Chapter 51

Y/N's P.O.V

And just like that, we were officially on the train ride back to Hogwarts for our very last year. I had spent the Summer with the girls this year and the boys, as always, had spent theirs together too.

I had probably missed out on a lot again but I still chose to spend at least some of the train-ride with the girls.

In the end of our Summer, Lily had received a sepia coloured envelope which told her that she was the new Headgirl! Of course we were all very excited for her, It was the main topic on the train-ride as well.

"Of course this will be a lot of responsibility." Lily continued determined but still girlishly excited.

"Yeah but I bet you're gonna be great." Dorcas said supportively.

"I'm just worried about who's Headboy right now." sighed Lily.

"Why? How does that matter?" I asked with my attention divided between the conversation and the book I had picked up.

"Well Potter and I had a bet that if both Headboy and Headgirl were from Gryffindor I had to go on a date with him on the second Hogsmeade weekend." she said sighing once more. "And that I'm the Headgirl... there's more of a chance."

"Oh come on Lils!" Mary exclaimed. "Are you complaining?"

"I mean you two have gotten closer since the fight." Marlene said rubbing her shoulder against Lily's, dragging out the word fight with a sly voice.

"I mean...maybe he is better than before but I really don't think I can go on a date with him. Especially after all those years of rejecting him...hating him." she confessed with a crying guilt in her voice at the last part.

"But it is win-win for you guys if Remus is Headboy now. It's good for our future...plans and you finally go on a date with James." I smirked.

"Speaking of Remus..." Mary teased.

"Oh no..." I said covering my face with my hands,. I know exactly what's coming next.

"Seriously N/N? It's been almost 2 whole years!" Lily exclaimed.

"Exactly the reason why I shouldn't do anything stupid to something that...doesn't have a chance." I added sadly.

"Come on N/N. You only have a chance for another year! After Hogwarts...who knows?" said Marlene.

"Can we please just drop this?" I said turning my head back to my long novel. The girls all gave me a pitying look but ended the uncomfortable conversation.

After a while I got bored of the stiffening silence so I decided to go see the boys and reveal if Remus had gotten Headboy and if Lily had to go on a date with James. I bi goodbye to the girls and looked for the carriage the boys were in.

As usual I only had to follow the incredible amount of sound but this time there wasn't any. Curious.

Thankfully though , after  a short while of looking, I noticed a carriage without the blinds rolled down. I peeped inside to see the boys dead silent, staring at a strangely familiar envelope in James' slim fingers. Did Remus actually get Headboy? Did Lily actually have to go on a date with James?

I slid open the compartment door and cleared my throat loudly snapping them out of their daze.

'Whaat is going on here?" I drawed out confusedly.

"I- I-...I got Headboy..." James said still looking shocked.

"Really? How? You weren't even a Prefect..." I said thinking. "And why are you so surprised right now? You must've gotten the envelope during the Summer."

Sirius shook his head vigorously. "No! We just got it 15 minutes ago! Can you believe it? Our little Jamsie...all grown up." Sirius said wiping an imaginary tear.

I noticed Remus feeding an owl, supposedly the one carrying the letter, with a pondering look on his scarred features. James was disbelieving, Sirius was excited and Peter was just downright confused.

"Can't you see Prongs? This opens up soo many new prank opportunities! And we can exact such amazing revenge plans on Snivelly's greasy arse!" Sirius said jumping about.

"Have you learned nothing you daft! Need I remind you of fifth year?" I scolded.

"Oh...yeah." Sirius chuckled nervously.

"Besides, me being Prefect didn't do much better than will James being Headboy." Remus said shaking his head.

This conversation seemed to smack James back to reality.

"No. No we can't use my position to our advantage. I promised Lily I'd be responsible." James said determinedly. "Wait...Lily! Y/N! Did she get Headgirl?" he regaining his usual excited self.

"Oh yeah! She did! Yes!" I exclaimed.

"You know what that means!" Peter said waiting for someone to respond.

"I have A DATE WITH LILY EVANS! FINALLY! YES YES YES!" James said hyped. He then swooned and fell into Sirius arms dramatically.

"Can you believe it Siri?" he sighed.

"Does this mean I'm not your girlfriend anymore?" Sirius frowned.

"Sorry Pads... but it has to be this way." James said overdramatically.

"Again?..."

-----

We had reached Hogwarts and settled down for Dumbledore's speech. Lily was obviously trying to get as far away from James without physically going out the window so I and the girls had to pull her down to her seat the whole time.

James was going to pop his eyes out of their sockets if he darted them to Lily one more time and everyone else was over it but also strangely intrigued.

Dumbledore gave his usual speech to the new students, O.W.L students and N.E.W.T students... which was us now.

We chowed down as Lily remained stiff as a board... too frightened for the future to eat. I rolled my eyes and me and the girls slowly forced her to eat something.

After the feast, the Prefects lead us to our dorms and James and Lily were called by Mcgonnagall for the assigned tasks of their new positions.

After we set up in our dorms once more, we anticipatingly waited in the common-room for James and Lily to come back to see how it went.

Not long after, Lily came rushing in with James chasing after her.

"Lily! Lily wait!" he called.

She heaved a long sigh and turned to face him.

"Yes Potter?" she said knowing what's coming next.

"Remember the bet?" he said anticipatingly.

"What bet James?" she said acting clueless.

"We- we had a bet that if both Headboy and girl were in Gryffindor...y-you would finally say yes to a date with me on the second Hogsmeade weekend." he said red as the house-colors.

"Oh really?" she said relaxing a tad seeing his un-eager expression.

"B-but if you don't want to go that's totally fine! You don't have to! I don't want to! I mean-" James ranted till he was cut off by Lily putting a finger on his lips. Reminded me of when I said yes to going to the Christmas ball with Remus

"I will James. But you better not disappoint after 6 years." she winked before heading up to the dorms.

James looked like he was going to faint then and there. Well he probably was.

"Great job Prongs!" Sirius supported running up to hug his bestfriend.

"You finally got her huh?" Remus teased while giving up a small chuckle.

"Yes." James simply said before thumping to the floor.