For The Better - Chapter 38

Remus' P.O.V

I sighed audibly as I lay on my four-poster bed staring up at it's wooden top cover. Today was the day. The day I had to break-up my more than a year long relationship with Y/N.

I truly didn't want to with all my heart, but it was for the better. The boys turning into Animagi for us really helped, but it wasn't enough. Y/N's condition still worsens every full moon.

It was the crack of dawn while I was thinking these depressing thoughts. I waited and waited for it to finally be time for breakfast so I could drown out my thoughts in food, but the clock seemed to tick slower for every minute that passed.

So, despite my head telling me not to, I woke up all the boys to tell them about what I was going to do today.

I used a spell to simultaneously shake awake all three of them.

"What time is it?" James groaned putting on his comically large round glasses.

"It's 6 a.m.!" Sirius exclaimed incredulously.

"Why did you wake us up this early Remus?" Peter said rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

"I need to tell you guys something..." I said wincing. I told the boys I wanted to break-up with Y/N and why. And, as expected, my ears were soon met with loud complaints and objections from the three boys.

"No!" Peter screeched.

"You can't do that to her!" Sirius said looking distraught.

"You two are perfect!" James yelled.

"Shh!" I hissed. To my satisfaction, they actually quieted down. But it was written all over their faces that they were truly anxious for my reply.

"Listen guys, I hate to do this. I love her, I really do. But loving her, also means protecting her, and if we're together any longer, I'm pretty sure at some point the days after the full moon will become fatal for her. I don't want to do this...but I have to." I said with a grave look on my face as I struggled to swallow the lump in my throat.

"It's just-" Peter started but he was cut off by Sirius giving him a look.

"It's okay Remus. We just want you to be happy." James said giving me a sad smile.

"And if this is what you want, we support you." Sirius said giving me a smile similar to his messy haired comrade.

"Thanks guys." I said as we shared a hug.

After an hour and a half it was finally time for breakfast. We headed down where the girls were already at breakfast. It seemed like Lily, Marlene and Dorcas had dragged Y/N and Mary out of bed this early because it looked like they were about to faceplant into their buttered toast.

I sat down next to Y/N trying to be as neutral as possible instead of giving her the usual peck on the cheek each morning. I was sure going to miss that... I thought as another heavy-hearted sigh escaped my lips.

"Are you okay Rem?" Y/N asked immediately knowing something was wrong. Pfft and she says I read her too fast.

"Yeah...I-...Yeah..." I stuttered.

"Okay...Are you not telling me something?" she asked knowingly.

"I- um-" I said not being able to come up with a plausible excuse.

"He's sick!" James said trying to help. Oh bloody hell...

"Really? Do you want me to tell Mcgonnagall to let you have the day off?" she said concernedly raising a hand up to my forehead to check my temperature. I sighed once more, mentally this time, I was going to miss her love and caring too.