A Single Year of Freedom - Chapter 43

Y/N's P.O.V

It was the day we would return to Hogwarts for sixth year. We were on the train and instead of picking up a book like I usually would, I was merrily engaging in conversation with my friends.

"Lighten up Fang." Sirius exclaimed.

"Yeah it isn't that big of a deal." Peter supported.

"Sorry but illegally turning into Animagi is a big deal." I said with a sarcastic look.

"Y/N?" James called.

"Hmm." I answered.

"Today why are you talking along with us on the train instead of reading and being a stick in the mud like Moony?" James said extensively.

"Hey!" Remus called from behind his book.

"I don't know. Probably because last year was O.W.L's and next year is N.E.W.T's so, this is the only free year we have for now." I shrugged.

After a few minutes of conversation I brought up a topic about which I had been wondering ever since I saw them together.

"Hey James, Sirius, why did you guys come together at Platform 9 3/4? Did you guys stay together this summer too?" I asked. I was expecting a short answer from them but instead as those words left my mouth Sirius' expression darkened and James grew stiff.

"Guys?" I drawled worriedly.

"I-I ran away." Sirius stuttered looking down and rubbing up and down his elbow.

"What do you mean?" Remus asked looking up from his book.

"I ran away from home." he said gravely.

"What?!" I, Remus and Peter asked incredulously.

"My mother h-hit me with a spell and I decided that I couldn't stay there anymore. I honestly should've left the second I was sorted into Gryffindor." Sirius said with a pained chuckle.

"Why would she hit you?" Peter whimpered.

"Regulus became a Prefect and that started an argument about what a 'disgrace' I was." Sirius said spitefully.

"Oh Sirius." I said almost tearing up. It was honestly so sad. I had lost my mother but his mother didn't love him, so he had nothing to lose.

I ran up to him and gave him a hug and all the other boys joined in too. Sirius hugged back and finally let himself cry.

"Re-reggie wanted to go with me. But I couldn't take him. Now he's a Prefect. and he hates me." Sirius bawled. 

"It's alright Siri. I bet he still loves you deep down inside. He is your brother after all." James crooned.

"Yeah..." Sirius said calming down.

After a few more minutes of comforting our hurting friend, I wanted to go and meet the girls after that long summer.

"Remus. When are your Prefect duties?" I asked.

"In about 15 minutes." he said checking his old watch.

"Great! I still have time to catch Lily. Bye guys." I said leaving quickly.

I ran across the narrow halls of the train until I found the compartment where the girls always sat.

"Hey girls!" I exclaimed coming into the car.

"Y/N!" they exclaimed happily as we shared a hug.

We discussed all about our summers, the drama with Lily and Snape 3 months ago, Sirius' newly revealed family issue and Marlene and Sirius' new relationship.

"I can't believe it. After almost 6 years Marlene McKinnon finally managed to catch the Hogwarts playboy." I said overdramatically.

"Unbelievable I know." Marlene said with a playful eye-roll. "He just needed a strong woman to ground him and that woman was me. Now if you'll excuse me I need to go talk to him about his family too." she mumbled before leaving.

"I'd better go to. I'm late for Prefect duties." Lily sighed before following the blonde.

After those two left I talked with Mary and Dorcas for a while before Marlene came back and I went back to the boys' carriages.

We left the train together and headed through the castle on the carriages and to the feast. But before the feast Dumbledore had an announcement after his usual welcome speech. This was not going to go well.

"One more thing my dear students. We are soon going to have a spring dance right before October due to growing exam pressure for the fifth and seventh year students. Sixth years have also been growing ill so they are strongly advised to come too." Dumbledore said as joyful murmurs erupted in the crowd. I mentally sighed to myself. Just like three years ago...

"Another reason why this event is being held is because of a newly arisen menace who calls himself Lord Voldemort. He is on a rampage, murdering innocent muggles, muggle-borns and parents of said muggle-borns. We have to take our mind of these things and celebrate the good things in life right now. Also under fifth years cannot come unless they have an age-appropriate partner. Now finally, let the feast, begin!" Dumbledore said finally ending his announcement.

Great. Another ball, another dress and another date to worry about. I spun my head around to ask my friends what they thought of this news.

"What do you guys think of this problem?" I emphasized.

"I think another ball is another pain in the neck." James said spitefully looking in Lily's direction. I put a comforting arm on his shoulder that told him that this was the year she was going to say yes.

"At least I finally have a fixed date." Sirius shrugged.

"I-I don't think I want to go. Unless someone asks me." Peter squeaked.

"Remus?" I said looking at the sandy-haired boy.

"I think I agree with Peter. I don't really want to go unless someone asks me." Remus said picking up his food.

"I think I'll go. I mean even if I don't get a date, at least there's food." I shrugged while playing with my peas.

"Same reason." Mary said through a mouthful of food while jetting her hand up.

"I'm definitely going. Even if I'm going alone." Lily said.

"Me too." said Dorcas.

"Well I have a date so..." Marlene said shifting closer to Sirius.

"Wait. Do we have to go through a whole 'nother day of shopping?!" I groaned.

"Unless you want to go in your old dress." Dorcas shrugged.

"Fine. The things I do for you guys." I sighed to myself.

(A.N. Hey guys! Another frickin ball...I know. But I'm all out of creativity and don't worry because there isn't going to be a whole chapter about shopping again but after at least one more chapter in between there is going to be the ball chapter so be prepared. Love you guys! Bye!)