Amortentia - Chapter 44

Y/N's P.O.V

It had been 2 weeks since the starting of the year and the painful announcement of the dance. The same annoying little things were occurring as three years ago, except there were significantly less people asking me to the dance. I guess I'm just not as popular as I was in third year.

It was a relief to be rid of the burden of that many people constantly breathing down your neck. But I had decided I wasn't going to have a date this year anyway. If anyone asks me to dance during the ball I suppose I would say yes, but nothing serious.

The girls and I had already bought our dresses for the dance which had burned a hole in my wallet. 

I headed over to breakfast this fine Monday morning, sitting next to the both of my friend groups as usual. I looked over to the boys sitting down next to Remus and noticing James looking drunkenly euphoric.

"You okay James?" I asked looking over to the raven-haired boy with a mix of curiosity and concern. At this all the girls grew smirks and Lily turned a deep red.

"He's fine. Actually...he's not." said Remus.

"Lily said yes to go to the dance with him." Sirius said holding James up straighter.

"Finally!" I said exasperatedly. That girl takes too long to come to her senses.

"So do you all of you have dates now? I do." asked Dorcas.

"I don't." Mary said through a mouthful of eggs.

"I do." Peter said shyly.

"Really? Good for you Pete!" James said supportively. Wait a second...How the hell did Peter Pettigrew get a date before me?

"Don't." I shrugged.

"Really? I thought the last time Hogwarts was all over you." Sirius asked with a tone of playful sarcasm.

"Guess I'm just not as popular." I said with a hint of relief evident in my voice.

"I do." Remus said abruptly after a minute. Hearing this, I choked on my juice. I coughed and cleared my throat playing it off.

"Sorry about that. Who are you going with?" I said with anticipation written all over my face.

"You actually do know her. Remember Gwen Queens from your Quidditch team?" he said not making eye contact while everyone else watched with wide eyes.

"Really?" I asked heavy-heartedly.

"Mmm-hmm." he said unfazed.

"Ooookay we should probably get to potions now." Sirius said quickly changing the topic.

"Yeah." I muttered as all of us headed to the Potions classroom. Okay, maybe I was jealous. But to be real I was never really 'over' Remus. When I was with him, I was...happier.

"Good morning students!" Slughorn said in his usual cheery tone.

"Good morning Professor." the class answered.

"Today we will be learning about two potions. The both of them are in those two cauldrons in front of you. Now I want one student to volunteer to say the names of both of these." said Slughorn.

I raised my hand and noticed only two other students follow.

"Come on. Don't be shy." Slughorn encouraged which made only three more students raise their hand. "Alright then. Ms. L/N! Why don't you come up?" he said.

I nodded and walked up to the both of the cauldrons.

"Well this is definitely liquid luck or Felix Felicis." I said pointing towards the bubbling golden potion. "But I don't know what this one is. It smells very familiar though."